1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weak rear springs !

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by blk90s13, Apr 14, 2011.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Air bags are the same price and wont beat you to death unloaded. Thumbs Up

3. blk90s13

is it as easy to install ? I dont wanna have a marathon installing anything loool

I got a dump insert so its pretty much loaded at all times if it makes any difference

today I over loaded so bad I went on the scale at the yard and I was :eek:

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Please post pictures of your rear leaf spring.

Did you have overload leaf spring on or you didn't order with.

5. blk90s13

I believe I have an over load spring ( thats the one on top separated from the pack ? )

I will get a picture tomorrow

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

over loads

helwig makes some good helper kits but they dont tend to fit leaf springs that are longer than 26x26 like 1987 and older trucks .
    it's real hard to make them fit splitting the differance between the u-bolt plates and the spring clip straps that hold the leaves together and some times they interfee with the rear shackel .
    multi feaf helpers do a good job but it's hard trying to find one long enough.plus if they hit any thing on the spring they squeak like a bandit .if you can the air bags work good if you dont have a helper leaf on top from the factory .then you have to remove it to put the bag's or multi leaf helper's on ,if you can find one long enough .
    hen you can alway's go with timbren load booster,s they can give you more capicity than any amount of springs .:salute:

7. blk90s13

The guys at the plow shop says to use timbrens too but I am afraid the ride will be stiff

I have a 2000 f250 4x4 with the single spring ontop

thought about airbags but was told by the guys in the shop if you bust one loaded you are effed, how hard is it to blow a bag ? I mean today I loaded 4400lbs in the dump insert I had some gravel to spread

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the only time you will feel any thing is when you put the load on it with timbrens ,air bags give the better ride .no matter what you do if your going to load it it will affect the ride . air bag are a maintence item timbrens put them in and forget them .

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree. I've had air bags on my 2005 since new and routinely load the truck past 14k, with over 5k in the bed. I've never blown an air bag nor have I ever had any issues. I much prefer air-bags over the harsh ride of timbrens (until the timbrens fall out that is).

Air bags are easy to install, no need to remove the factory overload. They're bolt on; one bracket on top of the spring pack, one bracket on the side of the frame, and the bag in between. If you can use a drill, turn a wrench, and follow directions, you can install air bags. Only other tool you need is a floor jack to unload the suspension to install them.

10. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Those are overload springs and really dont change the stock ride till you put weight in the back. They work well and I would recomend them.

11. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Those are overload springs and really dont change the stock ride till you put weight in the back. They work well and I would recomend them.

About The Load Pro Series
    This Hellwig Helper Spring set the standard for all other aftermarket helper springs. Featuring Progressive Spring Rate and Fulltime Spring Rate design, this spring is the workhorse of the Hellwig Spring line. With the Progressive design the vehicle must be loaded and its spring compressed to activate the Hellwig Spring, therefore as the vehicles load increases the Hellwig Helper Spring progressively increases its resistance to the load. In the Fulltime design the Hellwig Spring immediately reacts to the vehicles load, therefore compressing very little as load is applied to the vehicle.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are overloading the GVWR for that truck

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And when you get pulled over by the DOT and put on the scales,you'll know exactly how overloaded you are!

14. blk90s13

I know how heavy I was its scary :eek: the truck is close to GVWR empty with a full tank of fuel

15. blk90s13

Got a set of air bags installed two days ago and what a great investment well worth every penny