1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weak points

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by BADSBRD, Oct 14, 2005.

BADSBRD Junior Member

What are the weak points on the Jeep? I am (hopefully, if I can find a plow) going to be plowing my first season this winter. I would like to know what to watch for. I've got a 94 YJ with a 4.0, and a 5-speed, stock axles, and t/c. It has a 4" lift and 33" BFGs. Should I be worried about the 35 in the back turning the 33's and pushing snow?

Next year shouldn't be a problem..as summer plans call for a set of narrowed 60's and a Dana 300 :yow!:
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Keeping U-joints in the rear drive shaft.;)

BADSBRD Junior Member

Its a 4" Suspension lift. Fabrication is no problem, just grab some steel and fire up the welder :)

The Dana 35 rear end is notoriously weak. Many people have broken axles, gears, etc. running 33's on the trail. I was wondering if anyone here had a problem pushing snow with it?

My tires are not the typical 12.5" wide tires on most lifted Jeeps. While I do have the MTs they are 33"x10" and are siped.
  5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I would think your Dana 35 would be fine. Plowing is a little easier on axles than wheeling because you're always going to be on a snow covered or wet surface, so the tires afford some "give".

Just plow in low range (I think that's a given with 33" tires) and go easy with it.

Good luck.

6. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

The D35's are stock on that, right? If they are, then I think the largest your supposed to go on those is 31" tires. That's why people keep breaking axles and associated parts.