1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weak plow...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jpar247, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jpar247

jpar247 Member

Finally got a little dusting in BC. Took the plow out and found a couple little problems since last year. The plow is a 2010 8-6 Pro Plus

1st: While traveling the plow lowers itself about 2", every 5mins. Bad valve or leak?

2nd: While pushing with the blade angled a bit to the side, it seems weak and get pushed to full angle lock by the load of snow. Pretty sure it didn't do this last year. It kept the angle I wanted. Bleed system or adjustment?

3rd: While stacking, I can get as much lift as I used too. System just bogs down. I back away and the blade pops up. Bad Valve?

I know fixing these problems aren't rocket science, I just really don't have the time to look over everything as more snow is coming. Just looking for some idea so I can zero in the problem.

Thanks guys, good luck with 2012 payup

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The blade sinking on it's own is the S1 valve, there is a check valve in there that is leaking allowing the lift ram to leak down.

If the blade moves when pushing snow your crossover relief valves are probably responsible, remove them, clean them, replace them and adjust them. If they are damaged in any way put new ones in.

The blade "poping up" when you back away from a pile is odd? Maybe air in your system that is acting like a spring when it is compressed in the lift ram? If this is an ultra mount I would be looking at the pivot pins to see if they are siezed. This can cause the vehicle mounts to "wind up" and do strange things including making the lift ram work real hard. After sitting a few summers they tend to rust and get very stiff.