1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weak metal or hitting piles too hard

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Feb 10, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

So earlier the pin in my ultramount broke. i welded it and its been working since. Today the other one broke.

so my question is as the title says, did they break because its old and the metal is weak, as metal gets when struck over and over for a decade, or am i simply hitting piles too hard.

i suspect a little of both. Rather than welding the other pin, im going to buy two new ones.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Which pins? The pivot pins?

3. birddseedd

The two that go into the pivot bar. lets the plow go up and down.

4. birddseedd

[​IMG]

looks like to me that these should be welded on each side.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Probably hitting piles too hard.

6. dieselss

Yes the pins. In my experience it is from lack of lubrication and seizing in the holes. Same thing happens to our skids. No grease in the pins and they break the mounting tabs off. Either new pivot bar with the zerks or drill the holes

7. birddseedd

so its from them getting stuck and wanting to "twist".

I also notice that the one i welded wasnt perfeclty straight. not sure if its from me not having it at a perfect 90 degrees, or if its breaking as well.

8. dieselss

Yes you will have them not straight. There is play in the holes and pins.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You hitting piles to hard I owned Ultra mounts since 03 and never broke that pin

Piles isn't your brakes use you pedal in the truck to brake

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I always use soft piles to slow me down...........or stop. Less wear on the brakes.

11. birddseedd

They probably weren't neglected like this one tho

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2 and I lift the plow as I "hit" the pile.

& don't just smack into a frozen wall of snow or curbs ether.

13. birddseedd

The pivot bar is elongated that probably added to the impact. I need a new pivot bar. Might fix these pins and use the new pins with a new pivot bar later

14. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This is a common failure on first generation Ultra mounts. No grease zerks so the pins seize up over summer and then in fall they either break loose or break the pins off the first time its used.... Like this one...
    Notice in the second photo the zerks we added after the fact. This was a Wide-out. Customer complained that his operator backed up and caught a curb ripping the plow and a-frame right off the tower. It was hanging by the hoses! Needless to say, lots of damage. I have repaired lots of these first generation seize up problems, often you can't get the seized pins out and have no choice but to use the new swivel bar that comes with zerks. We have been installing zerks on new installations for years, of course now that Western has caught on, we don't have to....
    Note that the new style pivot bar does not come with these old style welded pins with the slotted plate. New pins are just normal pins secured with cotter pins.

pins.jpg

zerks.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  15. birddseedd

Interesting to know. I knew they made some changes, was not sure what type. Is it possible to mod mine to work with the regular pins? mine were not actually frozen up. so im thinking im just hitting too hard trying to stack high. I planned on putting in zercs on the new pivot bar if it did not come with one. although I would like to have some kind of bushing to hold the grease in.

do you have any pics of a newer setup?

16. mishnick

These pins are so roughly machined and so badly abused when operating that I can't see any kind of seal holding together in there. Personally I like to see the grease come out both ends, that's how you know the grease is getting in, like on most farm bearings. I just grease mine a couple of times each winter and once just before I put it into the hibernaculum for the summer.
    I have none of those new plows in the shop now but here is a link to Western drawing showing new style. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/43189.00_061513.pdf
    Page six, look at assembly item #24 bottom right corner of page. Also see pins kits #23. Notice how the pins have no slotted plate (used to go under bolt) and how the back side of the swivel bar is open. You can put the pins in from the inside out so you don't have to take the landing gear and configuration plates off to change the configuration.
    As I understand you can't get the old style enclosed swivel bar any more. It has been superseded by this version.

17. birddseedd

wow. thats really different.

so if you cannot get the 1st gen type anymore, the new one is compatible with the 1st gen ultra's?

18. mishnick

Absolutely, it fits fine. I prefer them myself, have replaced many old with new.

19. birddseedd

so i do need to use these new pins, as a new setup wont use them.

ty for the info.

20. birddseedd

How do the pins attach to the lift frame?