1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weak coils ?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by scottr, Nov 9, 2015.

1. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Just plowed a dozen driveways with my 810, toward the end, I had trouble with the lift function. Acted like it wasn't making contact?? All other function worked fast and without problem. Can this be a weak valve coil? Do they get warm after use and have potential to give out??
    I'm new to the electric over hydraulic systems. Have used central hydraulics with valve body's for 25 years.
    thanks for any advise

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say yes to the heat part.
    The ones I've see go bad cracked, and water got in and A)froze. B) shorted out the coils.
    Cheap insurance to replace it and while your there pull the valve just for grins

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

remove the coil and look for galvanic corrosion build up acting as an isolator. Check the connectors and clean the contacts PARTICULARLY if it's a body grounded coil. You could throw a resistance check to the coil to make sure its right and that its not failing internally, amp draw could tell you the same thing. divide the watts by the volts and you will get amperage requirements ( i.e. 24 watts\12 volts=2 amps) if it pulling considerably more (or less) then that you have an issue.

the suggestion to pull the valve is a GOOD idea could be you have a restricted flow issue, I sure wouldn't buy a coil before I inspected the valve.

Also could just be a weak/tired battery and inadequate alternator..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  4. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Great advise, from both of your thanks, I'll pull valve and check coil. I run a central hydraulic system so batterys and alt. shouldn't be an issue. All my lights are strong and bright and don't dim or flicker when I move the plow.

Thanks again