1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weak A/C

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 99 F-250 5.4 80k miles. It has weak air. It barely cools on max. It's full of Freon took 13 oz to top off. The pressure is at top of the scale. Compressor is running all the time. Clutch was making some noise early this summer. Not now, even when it engages.

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm so sick of crappy A\C systems since our gov't mandated "better" Freon.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Freon? What's "Freon"? That's a trade name. Do you mean refrigerant?

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I do miss dichlorofluoromethane.......

5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Could it be your temperature control switch inside the cab? Maybe it's not shutting off the heat all the way? Just a thought....

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Do you have high and low side pressure readings or are you using only a low side gauge and 1lb cans?
    Make sure that the condensor has been washed out really good. Start simple.

To the others:
    I'll stick wth my R134a. If any of you R12 diehards need a fix.. I've got a keg of it i'm willing to sell!

7. MickiRig1

Just using the Advance Auto Parts low side gage and cans. Heat is shut off all the way. I just like to have good a/c. I have to wear a T-shirt, heavy uniform shirt and pants with jump boots. By the time I get to work I am sweating bullets!

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Ok. makes it alot easier to help with a high side reading but we'll do our best! Answer me some questions.. What exactly is your low side reading? Have you cleaned the condensor? What was the outside temp the day you were trying to charge it? Your truck had a cabin filter correct? Have you checked it?

Lets start there and we'll figure it out.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a hose in the superduty's that still circulate some coolant into the cabin while the AC is on, you can install a manual valve to prevent it and is supposed to aid in the cooling a lot. I'll see if I can't find the article on it.

My only other thoughts are your condensor is blocked or not getting enough air flow to do its job (your fan clutch sounds like it might not be working?)

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Plugged oriface tube? That would allow for some cooling but not much. That being said, you may be looking at a new compressor too if its full of metal.

11. MickiRig1

The low side is near 45 pounds top of the scale. Condenser is clean. No cabin filter. Great air flow. It was 90 degrees outside.Compressor runs constant at idle. On Max air, high blower setting. One line is cold, one is hot. Overtime is flowing at work. Working 60 + a week, not much time to fix the truck or get it to someone with gages.

12. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Most likely you've got the system overcharged.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Overcharged or fan clutch

14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Your low side should read around 20-25. You are most likely over charged. Probably also have other issues. Find a shop that can recover what you have and pull a vacuum on it. That will tell you a lot.

15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Is that low pressure reading you got a static reading or with it running?

16. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

on a hot and humid day pressure will differ 200 psi on the high side and 3o on the low is a good rule of thumb do the lines sweat if the do the system is working properly check things like heater control valve blend air door the door you have to look at is the Recirculation door p.s pm me if u need further assistance im a mechanic for a living