1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

We need a way to fix hardened bags of salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Ok so last year we had no snow, so I had about 60 bags of salt left over from a year before that. Now I have 60 hard as rock for the most part bags. I had them stacked on a skid and covered up but still most are ruined. So it struck me that there has to be a way to chop these up so I can use them and not just throw them away and buy more. Anyone know of a way to beat these up so I can re-bag or bucket them up for use?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

You can crush them(do you have a SS?) & put them into 5gal buckets or you could make a salt brine with the salt chunks, add the chunks to hot water(works better if you crush it)
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'll be up to pick them up and get them out of the way for you.

Seriously, is this a real question? Take the bag and drop it on the ground. The salt IS NOT a solid brick because it sat for a year. It will break right up with a drop on the ground. Flip it and drop it again and you're done.
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

What ALC said. You may have to pick out a few clumps, but most of it will break up if dropped on the concrete like a bag of ice.
  5. ALC-GregH

from pa

I was in panic mode a few weeks ago and needed salt quick so I hit up Lowes. I went in and found the pallets of salt. I got 8 bags and the fist one I picked up was solid. I thought, great now it will be full of clumps. I dropped one and it broke up on the first drop. I said screw it and grabbed them and left. They all busted up and I didn't have any problems at all.
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking the same thing, but then I decided that he was hoping for an idea that would be less work for 60 bags.
  7. Rainer

Rainer Member

Raise the skid with a forklift and knock each bag off? Could even position an empty skid so they all fall onto it, then raise THAT skid and do it again hoping each bag fell once per side.

He should send everyone here that gets so frustrated with these type questions a bag or two, which they could then put on their desk and beat their head against it until it was loose enough to send back.
  8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Ease up there big guy. I didn't know what to do with them until I asked someone
  9. Rainer

Rainer Member

My response was more for the guys being smartasses. The forklift suggestion was honest input. Apologies though. :drinkup:
  10. ALC-GregH

from pa

I thought it was funny myself. Learn to take it light and it will all be good.

60 bags would take me less then 30 minutes to deal with. If you have a couple guys it wouldn't take but 15-20min to deal with. You're making it harder then it needs to be. This comment in your first post right away made me think you don't have a clue what you're doing.

" and not just throw them away and buy more."

If you even considered throwing away 60 bags of salt because the salt was stuck together and the bags were hard makes me wonder. Don't take this wrong but it seems as though you lack common sense. Not trying to be mean here or nothing. Bottom line, either you or (if you have employee's) your employee's need to drop each bag, pick it back up and drop it again on the other side and stack them back up. It really is that simple of a task. Anything else and you'll risk busting the bag open. Do it like you would a bag of ice. Don't think past anything else but what I'm telling you. It's the only way to get it done. The time and energy you've already spent on here could have been used to get the task done.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  11. Rainer

Rainer Member

Doesn't even need to be done all at once, just on an as needed basis. Literally 5 seconds before use. Otherwise the ones that don't get used will just harden again.
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

open bags and put them in seed bags and drive on them most time get 2 50lbs bags will fit in a 50 lb seed bag
    This what I have done with rock hard bags in the past

Little tip storing salt lay some weat straw on it during the summer time then tarp the bags
  13. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

LOL Thats 2 funny!!! But Ill take 1!
  14. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

At my summer job I had to move about 100 (small) bags of salt that were all rock hard, and had been sitting for probably 5+ years. they still broke up great!

Truth be told I was shocked.
  15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put it through a roller mill

MARK SUPPLY Member

If they don't break up well enough by dropping them, I have heard of guys mixing in washer fluid to loosen up clumps. Good Luck
  17. ALC-GregH

from pa

That's even better yet! No sense in wasting time doing them all if you don't need them all.
  18. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

i built a crusher for salt... its the crimpers off an old haybine. But cut the bags open and smash it with the loader bucket.
  19. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Place I used to work for had a crappy old tractor snow blower that occasionally blew snow but was actually used more effectively to break up clumpy salt.
  20. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I like the putting through an auger idea, and adding windshed washer fluid. Thanks.
    To the others, I realize picking them up and slamming them down works just looking for some innovative ideas. I can't seem to locate my forklift in my homes garage so that's out, but good idea I guess. Some here don't have heavy equipment to help with these things so that's what the question was for.