1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

We mow, but not plow...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Trying to understand why some well recognized full service LCO companies only offer spring/summer/ fall service, but stay out of snow plowing.....?
    There's more money to be made in a good snowfall season, then mowing in the dog days of summer battling newbies...
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

agree'd 100%.... By this time of year... Maintenance is just a job... With snow I find you dont experience that very much...
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on where you live. You might not have the equipment or it not worth buying any. Also not all employees like to plow. Illegals maybe good at cutting but stink at plowing. We have a lot of construction companies with heavy equipment but don't want anything to do with plowing.
  4. Turf Commando

Totally agree! I find snow plowing is more of a required talent vs mowing which is considered nothing important and requires little to no experience ...
    I can find someone to cut grass, but when it comes to driving a truck with a 700 lb , 7 ft blade finding people who have enough depth perception isn't easy, were talking smaller roadways maneuvering around vehicles, my blood pressure rises.........so does insurance ...lol
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I think you mean an "acquired" talent, so the saying goes. It is required, too, but can be taught.

You obviously have clients with little regard for straight lines and lack of scalped hilltops.

All interesting, coming from the "Turf Commando."
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I'd agree with that to... We're not just walking behind push mowers here... IMO, it takes a lot of skill and experience, expecially trimming... You dont just put a trimmer down and walk... We've had alot of people that couldnt tell the differance between a plant and a weed... Lets just say, they didnt last long... And to this day, I only trust 2 other people enough to trim shrubs and hedges
  7. Turf Commando

I'm called Turf Commando for a reason .... ''We take command of your lawn ''
    Also, How does one plow in AZ....?
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Northern AZ gets a lot of snow.
  9. Turf Commando

Interesting .......Snow in Az.....
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There's far more money in plowing then cutting but there is also far more stress. I can go away during the summer( I'm in Florida right now) but I won't go anywhere during the winter.
    If you don't have commercial lots plowed someone is on the phone by 8am. If you miss a lawn for 2 days a lot of time no one evens finds out. The insurance is 20 times more for snow then lawns and if you get 2 or 3 slip and falls you might not get insurance at all.
  11. Turf Commando

Spending more on plows then mowers, I think your right on the money...
  12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

It's a matter of perspective... Kind of the way many are lawn companies that also plow, whereas some of us are snow management companies that also mow, landscape, tree trim, etc.

In terms of why a lawn company wouldn't want to plow, one needs to look no further than Brickman for that answer. Tough wanting to do something when you suck at it and your customer's know it... :laughing:
  13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

A few colleagues in the fire service have landscaping businesses but do nothing for plowing because snow is unpredictable and often difficult to work with given certain schedules.
  14. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Maybe they dont like the cold! Or they snowmobile, or go ice fishing ,or skiing,or just like to travel for the holidays all of us that plow know once it stats to snow you dont leave home my family always wants me to go to Florida for Christmas break but they know I wont leave because of my customers.
  15. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

That's why I have some great replacements while I'm on shift! Now I'd rather be on shift when it's snowing and sit back and let them work for me! LOL:waving:
  16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

mow n snow

I agree (I think) with CET, I've been on my own since '98, and plowed snow since I grad. high school ( I have the diploma ! ! !) in '86, I used to enjoy plowing (probably because any normal boy 18 yrs. old is happy to drive even a pedal tractor if it has a steering wheel) these days I like to plow but get tired of the pressure going with due to high expectations. I find that I'm removing snow mostly to retain my summer customers, although I'm satisfied with my margins even though there is lot of competition for the work.
  17. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Flagstaff (our operating grounds) receives 110 inches on average and is the 8th snowiest city in the country. This past year, 3 back-to-back storms over a 5 day period dumped 60 inches, collapsed roofs, caused a state of emergency and ran up the snow plowing bills REALLY HIGH!payup

Flagstaff also has the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine forest in the world. 7000 feet with an 800 acre ski "resort" on a set of peaks that top out at 12,400'. Below is the contradictory style "snow on cactus" picture you sometimes run in to in the winter. These are down at 2000 feet or less, only in the Sonoran Desert, around Phoenix.
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Very beautiful country you enjoy that us flatlanders envy. :drinkup:
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Flagstaff is one of the prettiest cities I've ever visited. It's the only place outside of MN that I'd ever consider moving to.
  20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree with every one but I will say, I think there has to be some talent present to mow, trim, edge etc. believe me, I've fired enough guys! As far as the price for things....I think its all over priced and by the end of the year your just where you started.....at a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke).