1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

We have to let you go!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jcfeder, Dec 19, 2003.

1. jcfeder

jcfeder Junior Member
    from neb

Worked for this property mgt comp only snow. Cheap ossssssss this comp always tried to get the upper hand on me. Only plowed or did walks when they wanted. Have to wait for there phone call to do anything. Kissed there but for two years this year are lawn bus had more cust and we got alot of the snow accounts so had more work then we could do. I wanted to quit this property mgt co but thought that is was wrong to quit someone.(not a quitter) They never wanted salt/sand never wanted to pay for us to come back day or two later for clean ups. So we get a good storm and they say no salt/sand on drives only on walks. So on the next day some one falls in parking lot :realmad: owner calls me up and said i need some one over there now to salt the drives. (ok but this is going to cost:D ) So the next day we get a 2" snow they don't want anything done no walks no drives ok. Do all of my other accounts. Today the property mgt owner calls me up and said i have had two people fall and I just don't think you guys have the equipment to the job for me. It felt bad being let go. But on the other hand i feel weight off my chest. I will miss the money but not the bs that i had to put up with. I can always make the money other ways. Do you think I can be liable for the falls ? so long cheapossssssss.:salute:
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Well I have some good news... I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. :p
  3. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

you better right him a nice letter stating you do have the equipment.

he can turn around and bad mouth you.

let him know you documented everything and how they didn't want salt/sand until someone fell and snapped there neck
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I paint in the off season and rehab of houses.
    Some people are so cheap it reachs the point of being stupid!
    Just move on, maybe they can't find a new company to abuse and you can double your price and state your terms when they call you.
  5. indianabc

indianabc Member

You definitely need to document exactly what you did and did not do. I am fairly new to this biz, so I sat down with my insurance agents and a my lawyer and asked a billion questions. Basically all I gained from that was to document, document, document. I log all our activities, amount of materials applied, times, ect. I place all that on the invoice. On contracts that the customer decides when I apply ice melt, I always fax a letter recommending it if I think it needs applied, EVEN IF I TALKED TO THE RESPONSIBLE PERSON ON THE PHONE, I still send the letter recommending it.
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Sorry about the first reply, I was in rare form.

On a serious note, I never plow without a signed contract. In NYS we are responsible for everything. Slips, falls ,curbs, etc. If a client declines something that we reccomend, that is the only way that we can get out of responsibility. I would have to agree 100% with documentation. Words mean nothing in court, paperwork is key. :cool:
  7. capital

capital Senior Member

I think you will find this was a blessing being dropped by this client. As you can see from other post do not leave the property manager calling the shots.............I.E. only coming when he calls and only doing what he ask for. I am in the midwest also and when first started would agree to those types of conditions. Now we let the clients know that we need to have freedoom to do the job right. Let them know your plan of attack for their property and be professional about it. When its 2 am you need the freedom to decide if it needs de icing or sand applied to alot. Also have a set height where you plow and do not let the client determine when he or she wants it since that is asking for trouble.
  8. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

We had a couple of clients who decided this year that they would do the call-when-they-want-it bit. we told them that was fine, but if they didn't want service when we plow, they don't get plowed until the next storm, and it will cost extra as we will have the additional snow to remove and it will take longer. One dropped us and the other allowed us to do it when we felt it needed it. When you plow is not up to the customer, but the customer needs to understand that.