1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

We are trying a demo....16fter

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by DellDoug, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Our Plowsite comrade Mr. Neige offered to let us try out one of these cool new units. Picked it up and just hooked it up to the machine nice and easy. As usual we are excited to try a new product. For now enjoy a few pictures and as usual we will update everyone with our thoughts and impressions.

First impressions are that it is heavy duty and well built with quality materials:

Metalp11_resized.jpg

Metalp12_resized.jpg

Metalp5_resized.jpg

Metalp10_resized.jpg

2. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

For as simple as a pusher is, what I'd like too see is one that higher in the center to keep snow out of the bucket,

Lower sides so you can get under a tractor trailer, and instead of straight sides ones that are angled out so you can see them and get closer to curbs cars etc,

The sticks to know its running level are nice as well,

Why not have a skin over the ribs too prevent snow from falling off during your push, I hate having too go back to pick that mess up!!

And why do they make the forks so friggen big, where it slides into the bucket. I've never seen a bucket that's 4" wide yet !!

Modify a 20'er for me too demo seeing the day crew burned out my skids plowing pavement , they tried blaming me until I told the foreman I haven't even seen pavement since I've been here, ice doesn't cause friction!!

He said you know I think your right lol
    Let me know when your ready to deliver!!!

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Great, thanks a lot Vince.

Now I know where my 16' demo went.

I get stuck (eventually and hopefully) with a 14' demo model. :laughing:

I know we'll get a good review at least.

Say howdy to your dad for me.

4. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Hi Mark,

Cool. I will pass on the well wished to my dad. Thanks.

I think the 16 fter was what was available locally for us to try out. just waiting for snow now. It sure looks like a very serious customer in the snow pusher business!

I Hope you and your family are doing well and that you have had a profitable winter. I also hope your orange is still doing a good job for you and been trouble free.

I promise to update after it snows again...looks like next week. :waving:

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Couldn't have picked a better person to give a fair review. As I recall you have used Protecs & Artic units in your fleet in the past (or present). A comparison between how they scrap, durability, etc. would be awesome

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

...scrape... Careful, you'll give Paul a heart attack.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Should have been scrape.....sorry ;)

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm hoping we don't get the snow for you try it out. LOL Interested to see what you think of it though.

9. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We are trying a 14ft out currently I personally have nearly 40 hours operating it and I can say that this is by far the best cleaning box plow I have ever used hands down. I would like to see the bucket mount more robust but overall very good unit. I imagine salt savings of around 20% maybe more on uneven lots. If any of you get the chance to see one of these in action walk in front of it and watch the individual sections over some rough and uneven areas in a lot, it literally combs the ground. One other thing thats impressive is plow a lot with another box plow then replow with this and see how much more you bring up.

10. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

So how do you like it so far?

11. IPLOWSNO

He has a new thread started with a movie even!!

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

DellDoug and Neige are not the same person. Or company.

They are both in Canada however.

13. IPLOWSNO

My bad !!! I mistook who got what from whom!!

14. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Hey no worries. Its all good!!

Well we did get a little snow over the weekend so we tried this new pusher out. Only had 2 or 3 inches of snow so we did not do a stress test...lol!! Anyhow in a single word impressive! First and foremost very easy to centre in a flat position for proper cleaning and wear. Feels very solid and in a few spots where there was built up ice on the edge of the parking lot it ripped it up like butter. The floating sections clean very well. In many ways this pusher feels similar to the "Ave Optimus". Both feel solid and positive both stack well. Both feel heavy duty and workable...in many many ways they seem very similar. I think for a choice of which one is better might come down to a question of dealer support in your area because as far as how they work it seems like it might be a toss up (JMHO). Time will tell though.....long term durability...that takes years to figure out.

15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not familiar with a "Ave Optimus"

16. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Avalanche Optimus

17. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

What is the cost difference between the two?

18. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

To be honest with you I am not sure....But since they are so similar I would be surprised if one was significantly more expensive then the other. I do not think these pushers are value priced or inexpensive. Each offers allot of technology and engineering as well as raw steel and labour to make these very impressive products. I think if your really worried about initial purchase price a contractor should look elsewhere.

19. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

How does it compare to an Artic ? As far as scrapeing, durability, etc. Feel free to PM me

20. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

PM has been sent.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014