1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

we all make mistakes !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Nov 27, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

what was the dumbest thing you have done in a plow truck ?

i had a nice brain fart last year when my bosses brother and i were stacking snow and pushing it down a small hill in front of one of the lot's we do. we really had no where else to put it. he told me to do what i could but not to push it down the hill , they will most likely bring in a dump to remove all the snow anyway.
    well , him and his brother took off to go do one of my favorite lot's and left me alone to finish this one up. :(
    to make a long story short, i did exactly what he told me to do. i built a beautiful 12 foot high , 15 foot wide stack of snow right on that spot !!!
    i didn't notice until later that , it was blocking one of the roads that drive threw the lot. needless to say my boss wasn't to happy with me that night
    :gunsfiring:

at least my hard work still showed well into April . i got a little chuckle when i drove by to see a couple kids playing on that beautiful pile of snow i made :eek:

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks, it could have been worse..:nod:

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I once plowed a driveway for only $20, that was dumb but I was broke and needed the money! :jester:

4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I bent 2 of the plow stands on my Boss last year. I always forget to lift it before I take off then I bend it on the same drive everytime.

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im a dumbass and took on a lot with tons of cracks, every time I plow it I feel like im hitting speedbumps, and the plow trips, every 3 feet.

Oh well it only takes 15min and pays well.

BTW: If I raised the plow a little when plowing the lot, would it help, or make matters worse some how?

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont feel too bad, Ive done them for free on multiple occasions.

Stupidest things I have done are 1) Back into a glass door but thankfully it was at my dads office (which I dont normally plow) and they were understanding. 2) would be climbing up a 15' pile trying to stack up more snow and dropping the front end in up to the plow mount, my brother pulled me out but in the process pulled alot of the pile back into the driveway so it had to be plowed again.

I suppose more will come, just hope its nothing too bad.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Plowing a lot that the owner demand he put up the markers.

He used white stakes. Bad snow storm we waited as late as we could to see if storm would stop before starting but allowing time to make 1st pass' before 7am. After 8inchs and still snowing hard we started. Along the back of the lot I never saw any of the markers for the stop line.

Next morning doing clean-ups we saw how I had extended the whole line of the parking lot about 15' up on the grass/sod. Owner let us remark using our orange stakes the following day. But I will say getting that 1st pile so far past the line helped the rest of the winter while stacking.

8. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Did you have to go back and fix the turf?

9. lumps

lumps Senior Member

haha, speaking of turf.... i haven't plowed in a couple years... finally got a plow... we got a decent snowfall on thanksgiving... so, the fact that the ground is no where near frozen, combined with the fact that a boss 8'2" v-plow weighs a little bit more than a meyer 6 1/2' poly, well, let's just say that i'm gonna be doing a lot of creative landscaping in the spring :rolleyes:

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After we made it clear we would re-stake with our markers at no charge he never said a word.

The company also has the landscaping contract in the summer and I was told they added on a small fee for replacing sod. Since this happened 3 years ago he has always let us stake it out each winter.

11. jokatico

jokatico Junior Member
    from Maine

Last year there was this beat up non-running car parked on the grass in front of an apartment I plow. All season long I made sure not to plow to close, well after 12 hours of plowing I was getting a little tired and I happened to move the rear of the car 5 feet. I called the apartment owner and he called the tenant. The car owner asked me for 50 bucks and we would be even.

12. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Dumbest Thing done in a plow truck

Well about 8 yrs ago I was shorthanded and alarge wedding facility we do requested that we come and stack back thier 3.5 acre lot.So I thought what a great chance to teach my wife to plow.So she s in the 85 F-250 iI am in the Ford 555 2wd We walk the machine about 2 Mi down the road.I explain the controls and that I am going to push back about 20' then go to another spot and the she can sweep across what I have done and clean it up.Not bad 10 MPH and no messes. Then as her confidence builds so does her speed 25 or 30 MPH [GREAT].FLOATING up at the end and stacking on top of the frozen berm[FANTASTIC] Then her timing got off and BOOM solid into the frozen stuff.IT LOOKED LIKE A GIANT VACUUM PULLED HER UNDER THE DASH. I saw her eyes appear in the drivers door and LOOKED AWAY.I kept stacking She put the truck in reverse and went back to the 10 MPH [She must be OK] about a half hour goes by and shes back up to 25 MPH [GREAT] The it happens again right next to me as shes looking up in my eyes.Well now I gotta go see how she is so i put the blade down and climb out of the cab open the drivers door and ask her if shes all right.She say yeah and then I tell her that I saw the last one and If she would JUST PUT ON HER SEATBELT that really wont happen no more!!!!!!! 8 years later we work as a team in 2 trucks and really get some work done.

13. Acmemechanic

Dumbest Thing done in a plow truck

Well about 8 yrs ago I was shorthanded and alarge wedding facility we do requested that we come and stack back thier 3.5 acre lot.So I thought what a great chance to teach my wife to plow.So she s in the 85 F-250 iI am in the Ford 555 2wd We walk the machine about 2 Mi down the road.I explain the controls and that I am going to push back about 20' then go to another spot and the she can sweep across what I have done and clean it up.Not bad 10 MPH and no messes. Then as her confidence builds so does her speed 25 or 30 MPH [GREAT].FLOATING up at the end and stacking on top of the frozen berm[FANTASTIC] Then her timing got off and BOOM solid into the frozen stuff.IT LOOKED LIKE A GIANT VACUUM PULLED HER UNDER THE DASH. I saw her eyes appear in the drivers door and LOOKED AWAY.I kept stacking She put the truck in reverse and went back to the 10 MPH [She must be OK] about a half hour goes by and shes back up to 25 MPH [GREAT] The it happens again right next to me as shes looking up in my eyes.Well now I gotta go see how she is so i put the blade down and climb out of the cab open the drivers door and ask her if shes all right.She say yeah and then I tell her that I saw the last one and If she would JUST PUT ON HER SEATBELT that really wont happen no more!!!!!!! 8 years later we work as a team in 2 trucks and really get some work done.

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

back a v-box spreaderdrop chute into a snow pile bent it all up. took like 3 hours to straiten it up again

15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

:D Those women drivers! Where in RI are you?

16. Acmemechanic

Woonsocket and Smithfield

17. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd like some accounts in Foster/Glocester as they always get snow. I'm in Cranston.

18. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Christmas gift

Last year, 2 days before Christmas I backed into a garage door. Couldn't see the damage from the road, but the repair was still just as costly as a new door. So, my favorite customer got a new insulated garage door for Christmas. 2 more years of plowing and I'll break even.

I will say that it couldn't have happened better anywhere else. I called them at 8:00am and told them what had happened. The couple is over 80 yrs old and said not to worry about it becuase they would fix it. OF course I couldn't let them do that. The problem was right before Christmas the garage places were closed, and they were backed up. Took 3 weeks to get the door done. Worst part was that the door wouldn't open and their only car was inside. Luckily they're 80 yrs old and just a month prior had given up on driving themselves around. Any other customer would have been Nasty and furious if I locked their car in the garage for 3 weeks over the holiday.

Sometimes you just get lucky......

Wishing everyone a safe and carefuly plowing season!

19. genrock

genrock Member

First year made the mistake of helping out an old lady who I saw struggling trying to shovel 8 inches of wet snow. Driveway was only 20-30 feet long so I figured no big deal. Well without checking it out I pull in and ask her if she would like me to plow it for her. She agreed and thanked me and I felt good at the time. Well upon beginning I realized there was no place to put the snow. What I decided to do was push it across the street onto the island that is in between the street and the sidewalk. I did just that then she cam out and complained asking if I could get it a little wider. So I backed up and ran again more snow across the street.

She came out again and advised me that there was a 5 foot offshoot where her daughter parks and could I get that. It was between the house and the garage and very tricky to fit the plow in between the two and at the same time not back over the neighbors lawn try to **** the truck around. Somehow I got it done. She came out again and asked if I could throw some salt down and hit the sidewalks for her. I agreed and threw down salt and did her sidewalks.

Again she came out and asked if I could shovel off her front steps as well. Right about now Im getting rather annoyed and beginning to doubt myself as to why I didnt just keep driving. Got it all done and she handed me $10 and said thankyou. Upset I said oh well I guess I learned a valuable lesson Never Ever do driveways that small and never ever do anything without a prior contract. The story doesnt end.

Later that day I get home and I have a call from the city road commission. Apparently I had received a fine for dropping my blad on the city street while pushing the snow across the road and it just so happens that the neighbor called them cause his driveway was circular and I had burried up the front part of his driveway. So I went to city hall paid my $45 fine and then had to go smooth over the neighbor by plow and stacking snow from his driveway for free.

Come spring I received a bill from this guy who I thought I had done right by for gravel replacement in his driveway. Funny thing is he didnt have a bit of gravel in it when I plowed it out but what was I to do other then pay $200 to have gravel put down on his driveway.

One more twist in the story it turns out the old lady, who had only given me $10, actually had given the neighbor my license plate number.

I now leave this type of work to the lowballers and wish them luck.

20. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

That's just plain out Crappy, I argree some times it dosen't pay to be nice and help out people.

Last year, it was a long snow, and we were pushing out this lot, and I was geeting tired. So i got in a daze and ended up backing in to a lamp post, denting my bumper.

One other time I had a 24oz cup from dairy mart, wadge in between my seats, that I was useing as a spit cup for my sunflower seeds. It was omost full, when I hit a fill cap, at the gas station. and that dam& cup when all ofer the cab. I was picking up sunflower hulls for weeks.