1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WD 40 or fluid film ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Someone told me its wise to every now & then, take a can of wd 40 & spray the entire engine area of my truck.

pulleys, belts, nuts, bolts, terminals,etc etc, etc etc.. he says, just put it on to help lube everything up.

Im just wondering is this is true ? & if so wouldnt fluid film be better as a lubricant?
    I just put a small squirt of fluid film on the most squeaky door hinge,,,, the stuff work immediately.

The truck is a 1996 chevy 2500 diesel 4x4.

2. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

Salt sticks to oil. Water and vineger takes salt away.

3. racin84

racin84 Junior Member
    from CT

I spray an entire can of WD-40 on my boat engine every vear when I winterize it. Keeps most nuts/bolts etc from rusting and seizing. Would not recomend spraying it directly on the belts. Remember WD-40 is originally a water displacer (hence WD). It will leave a protective film once it "dries".

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I really think that oiling the belts would be a BAD thing.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What's with all this WD-40 talk?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Uh yeah. Fluid Film rules!

7. scoop56

scoop56 Junior Member

Fluid film for sure, the only thing WD40 is good for is removing black scuff marks on linoliem flooring!!!!!
    FF is awsome stuff, we deal with salt all the time here in Canada.
    I have been in the automotive aftermarket for 30 yrs.
    FF is THE BEST !!!!!!!!!tymusic