1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Way Too Much Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I got to use my new Western under Tailgate spreader today and boy was it an event :p I did all right don't get me wrong but I put down way to much salt. I could not help it, this thing was like a fountain. At first I figured I would start of in the middle and put the auger at 7 and the spinner at 7. Big mistake at 5-10 miles and hour. It was like I had chopped a whole in the bottom of my truck, salt was gushing out like crazy and not really flying to far because the spinner did not seem to go all that fast. I have a couple big lots to salt but for the most part they are the size of a large Wallgreens, so you really can not go all that fast. So I turn the spinner to 12 and the auger to 1. Still way to much salt better but still way to much salt. Sure it lays a nice pattern a 20 miles an hour but most the time I will only be going 5-8 miles an hour. Any suggestions? Two things need to happen; I need to slow that auger down more or some how block the amount of salt the spinner receives & I need to speed that spinner up to spread this insane amount of salt out. So got any ideas?

Thank you,

Eric

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Check with your installing dealer! :dizzy:

3. ibuildcars4u

ibuildcars4u Junior Member
    from ohio

maybe close the gate more on the dump. if the chain stops it at 2 or 3 inches, try closing it to 1 to 2 inches stopping some of the flow of the salt being aloud to pass through the gate. i would just take it back to the dealer if you allready have it pretty much closed :nod:

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

when you move the auger down to one it should basically stop turning.and the spinner should be going plenty fast to throw it ou there if you are running off a belt driven pump you may try putting it in first gear so that your revs will increase to give you more flow

5. Vaughn Schultz

With my auger on 1 it pulls a lot of salt through, ALOT! If i put the spreader on 12 at 5-10 miles an hour I will throw salt 8 feet in both directions (seems a little low)

Is there any other way to control the speed other than the in cab hydraulic controls?

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We use only salt on our accounts.On our sanders we only use the blast button on our controller.That seems to work the best

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

something is installed wrong the spinner should be flying in cicrles on max. i am thinking they either have the motors switched not sure witch brand you have and if the will swop like mine. or wrong line sizes my spreader has 1/2" hydro lines feeding the motors and 1/2" lines return ing to a 3/4" main return. if they didn't upsize the return after bringing together this could cause your problem.. does your spinner almost stop when on one? can you switch the quick connects at the rear so the feed lines are swaped around and see if it will change your feed rate

8. Vaughn Schultz

If the spinner and auger are on 1, the spinner will not move but the aurger will.

9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

check and se if the lines are crossed. with the spinner on max it should throw at least 12-15 ft.On my vbox I usally keep the conveyer(or auger in your case ) no more than 3 .Yesterday it was kept at 2 .When I use our baby dumps (f450-550) I keep the truck in 2nd or 1st and keep the rpms up.You may need to have a shop check the pressure at the end to see if maybe you have a pump or control problem.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is there a shield that is at the back on the auger. This sheild is maybe 18" long and stops the salt that is sliding into the auger from going straight on the spinner. I know on mine the auger is supposed to feed the spinner but if this shield is off then the salt is allowed to fall through the hole onto the spinner allowing for way to much salt to come out.

11. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks guys:drinkup:

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

it sounds like your feed lines are switched try turning them around and see how far it will throw

13. Vaughn Schultz

I am going to go goof around with it to night I will tell you what I find.

Thanks guys:usa