1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WAY too light

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Oct 29, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

ive had my plow on a few times lately, and when it is on, the back end is VERY light. I spin the tires just turning a corner after a stop sign without even trying to do it. Fisher site says i only need 400lbs of balast for it but i don't know if that is enough. Reason i want to get other opinions is that if it is substantially more weight i need, then ill find the cleanest way of getting that ballast. I don't want to just keep shoveling sand in until i get to where i want to be!! So, anyone have any opinions weather or not 400lbs will be enough ballast in the back or if i need more, about how much more do you think?....

thanks

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

have you driven around with the plow and 400# in the back yet

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

It's not just the amount, it's where it is. get that amount in the right spot, and try it out.

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Put the weight behind the back axle. Get the tube's of sand at the local grain store. Cheap!

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The more ballast the better, Pick -ups are notouriusly tail light anyway. My Dodge won't move until i throw a loaded salter in the back, then it's a beast.

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I've got close to 1K lbs in the back of my truck in the winter. Go to home depot and get tubes of sand, very cheap and clean and easy to put in and out. I also have a big plastic tookbox that I fill with sand for more weight and if I get stuck I just put out some sand. Most of the time I am able to plow in 2 wheel drive beacuse of the weight

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Keep putting in weight till it looks and drives the way it should.

8. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What is your truck and plow setup? If you post it, some others may have the same and will be able to comment.

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

he has a 7.5 fisher mm1 on a gas k2500 chevy. Mike put like 1000lbs in the back and she is good.

10. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

MCW,
    I have the same truck as you and when I was running my 8' Fisher I had 8, 70lb tubes of sand (580lbs.) in the back of my truck and it seemed to work for me. A few more would would'nt hurt. Actually you need to get a v-box and then you won't need to worry about ballast, plust there is more money in salt.payup

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Their recommendations are usually quite low. I found that even though they recommend only 600# in my truck, it is better off with at least 1000 lbs.

12. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

how cheap exactly are these?

13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

About 4 dollars 5 80 :D

RCGM
    Brad

14. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

what he said

15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I put 750lbs in the back of mine, with a 7.6 Western Unimount. Seems to work well.

16. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

alright thank you