1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Waxing Your Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spacolee, Nov 20, 2004.

1. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Ok this might be a stupid ? but I have never waxed my plow someone on here was talking about it and I might give it a try. Can anyone tell me what kind of wax I should use. :(
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I have done it when they were new but if snow is very sticky I keep a few spray cans of silicone in truck and spray plow and that helps for a while.
  3. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Use some Crisco cooking spray or Pam... if u dont have any silicone.....

4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

i wax with carnuba paste, then use pam before a storm if it is wet and heavy.
  5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I've never waxed any of my steel blades. I just try to get them painted every year before the snow falls.
    I did try some 3M Wax on the poly blades to clean the black tar off them and it does make them more slippery. Also "Son Of Gun" Spray works good.
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

A good floor wax (polish) ought to do, as well, and be a little more durable.
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not so sure about that as car wax is made to bond to paint, floor wax is not.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Any good car wax. I use Simonize. Just apply right before the season starts (to minimize the effect of sun, rain, dust etc on wax over the summer). Then reapply annually after sanding, priming and painting as needed. The first year I waxed the back of the plow,too. I suppose I should continue that, too.
  9. fga

fga Member

I've never waxed a plow before. does it make any noticeable difference, or is it really to protect from the elements? seems like a good idea either way, just wondering what the real benefeits are?
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have worked in the ski industry for Manny years as a snow cat operator. We used a product called (glide) or blade wax, it's made by a company called FALLINE. We spray it on our blades and attachments, it works for about a week or so.(man made snow is wet when it's fresh, so when you try to push it' it sticks to your frozen blade instantly. The blade wax helps to stop it from sticking.) Haven't seen a real need for it on the plow trucks but, once in a while when the temp falls and your pushing wet snow and the snow is sticking to my blade i think about this stuff. Has any one else used this product?
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I spray mine with WD40 each time I go out to plow.
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

snow sticking to plow

My Fisher is in its second season and I waxed the front of the blade before the snow fell, no snow sticking to blade where I waxed it(just plain old turtle car wax) but it did stick to the part I did not wax, the trip edge.
  13. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I just reinforced the wings on two of our plows, using some 2 inch square tubing along the back of the moldboard to reinforce. There are only 4 structural ribs on the back of our unimounts, the PRO model has more springs and more ribs. But I was going to powder coat it, I may take it down today. Anyway, they have a plastic coating they can add to the powder coat that makes things very slick, like when the plow was new. It's just that spray paint isn't as slick as when the powdercoat was new on the blade. I've never tried wax, but we don't get heavy wet snow too often.
  14. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Of topic, but funny avatar Ken. That was a good movie.
  15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use silcone or wd40
  16. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

I just stripped and waxed some office floors, it occured to me to try that wax on my plow. Havent had enough snow to make any real judgements yet.
  17. drplow

drplow Senior Member

candle wax

i have used wd40, fuel oil, oil, and candle wax. the candle wax lasted the longest but took the longest to put on also.
  18. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

How about butchers wax.
  19. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We wax the plows with carnuba paste before every storm. We also wax the lights and the front end. Makes all the gunk sheet off better after the storm.

Any of the paste waxes will work, just don't put it on too heavily.