1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wax?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CityGuy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so I know I am going to get a lot of different responces but I am looking for recomendations on truck wax. Right now I like Ice for its ease to use. I do not like to buff with a buffer(not good at it and afraid of burning). What is the best I can for ease of use and yet give me a great shine?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like Meguirs. I use a cleaner first, then polish, then wax. If it's already really shiny I just use the cleaner then the wax.

3. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

My brother does detailing so he has about 2 grand in tools and supplies, but I tihnk he uses Meguires. Now if only he would do my truck....

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Meguires or Mothers are the only 2 waxes I have ever used on any of my vehicles. I actually used the Meguires clay bar thingy on my truck. After that and a good coat of wax, I dont think it could have ever been smoother. It takes all of the bonded contaminates off the paint before you add the wax.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can rub that GM all you want but it will never turn into a Ford.:D

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What dont you like about the ICE?

Been using it since it came out, I like it. Doesn't make a mess and you don't have to be careful with it. Works excellent on plastic too. I used to be a die hard Maguires fan (as far as protectants go) but thats long gone.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I like the Ice just wanted to know if there is something better (price/quality) for about the same price. The only downfall that I have with it is I wipe it on and being clear i always seen to miss a spot or 2 when i wipe off.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea you have to be thorough during removal. Lots of overlapping strokes works best.

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i use a meguiars gloss finsih cleaner, then follow up with a coat of cleaner wax
    meguiars products is all i will use

10. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

J C Witney used to sell a polish called Dura Glo Plus. I'm here to tell you that stuff was the cat's meow. It would give very shiney results and was great at removing contaminates. I'm not sure how it happened, but one day I ended up with a mist of foreign paint on a vehicle on a newly aquired vehicle and that ploish took the overspray off AND left a beautiful shine to boot. J C Whitney no longer seels the polish and they won't give the manufacturer's name up. Just par for the course, whenever you find something that acturally works well, it will no longer be available.

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

My cousin is always detailing cars in the summer for extra cash (as well as cleaning his mustang 4x a week it seems) and all he seems to like is the "ice".

12. Dan B

Dan B Junior Member
    from toledo

I use Mequiers new NXT tech wax. I use it on my trucks (one is black) and my boat. So far it is my favorite to date. It lasts long time and has a good deep shine.

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Maguires is OK but is over rated. I was talked into using Maguires on my black Ram and yes it is a good wax and does a decent job. But I found it does not last worth a crap tho. Maybe it kept a good shine and feel for 2 months in Illinois weather conditions.

I went back to my trusty "Turtle Wax Super Hard" paste wax again. Yes it takes a while longer and it can be buffed off or polished off with a good towel. The final buff out is done with a polishing cloth.
    The finish lasts 6 months and protection at least 9. 2 coats would get you more than 12 month protection.

Plus it is cheaper then Maguires and not over rated from TV shows where they are paid advertisers.