1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wave me downs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Husker1982, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

Hey just wondering what all you charge for those people that wave you down to do their drive cause it is to deep for them to shovel. To not get questions or confusion I will set a scenario and you give your price.

There is a snow storm that hit and you got 8". Your plowing your route and the neihbor to one of your customers waves you down and wants you to do his. You still have most of your route to do. His drive is the same as your customers that he catches you on and you charge them $25. He does not want to become a regular so keep that in mind. What would you charge the "wave me down"?

I personally would charge $50 and that would not include the walk. I look at it this way the regulars give me the money at 8" and 2" so why should these people get a good price for a one time deal. If I am real busy I will take their name and number and when I am done call them back to see if they still need it. Some might say that is stupid cause you have to make a trip back and you probably won't get to do it later, but I would rather have that and get my regulars done on time and keep them happy.

Just wondering what you would charge or do.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well if it was double the depth of what i would regularly push and it was not to heavy i would charge the double too.But if it was heavy wet snow 8" thick i say I will get my loader it's $85 and hour with a 4 hour min.Next time don't wait till it's so deep.

I had someone call me to do the same think but that after it's been sitting and getting hard like ice for a few weeks.Wanted me to clear with my truck i said no i'll do the machine for what i said above.He said no wait till it melts fine with me my driveway is clear lol:D

3. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I agree. I would charge at least double and consider doing it then as long as it wouldn't set me back very far from my regular route. Meaning if I was a few minutes ahead of schedule I would do it then & there.

-Tim

4. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

i agree with the boss on this one, if you would like to sign a contract we will be more than happy to plow for you next year.
    (i will rent you a shovel though for $10 an hour:D )

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Be careful with flag downs. You have no idea what is under the snow. These are the type of people that will drive and park on 5 small snowfalls, then ask you to plow 8" off the top. It ends up being a nightmare, that you can never scrape clean. If you do say yes, ask the property owner to also mark all the edges of the driveway. One drive without curbs, and you can do some serious sod damage, or hit a curb, which will be enough for them to NOT want to pay you.

~Chuck

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree, I would charge them more then one of my regular customers but like Chuck said who knows what's under 8" of snow that's enough snow to hide curbs so I'd be very carefull.

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

We won't even touch them until:
    1.) All of our clients are completed (including touch-up.)
    2.) All of our truck service is perfromed.
    3.) All drivers have had 1 sleep cycle.

Our regular clients are for too important to jeopordize service by utilizing our high $ resources on 1 timers.

Having said that, I admit we do go out the next day and make some extra $. (With fuel $ the way they are, you gotta do something) ;)

8. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i would also charge at least 50.00, however it is cash on the barrel head pd. in my hand before plow drops to ground.
    kent lawns sums it up correctly saying with the way fuel is going any extra cash goes right into the tank.
    dan

9. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I tell em when I am done with all the ones who contracted me to do their snow a head of time, I will come back once I am done.

They also sign off on a damage waiver.

I did a flag down once and she found me through my bank account when I cashed her check, she said we tore her white asphalt driveway up. Went and looled and it was old broken up driveway. She tried to persue it and not one lawyer would take her case.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Unless I'm finished with my regular route, I just wave back:waving:

These are risky because as has been mentioned, it's likely the drive has never been plowed, who knows what the conditions are underneath? The phrase "My regular guy quit coming" throws up a flag too, it usually means the customer hasn't paid their bill. When I do them, I charge according to the risk involved, COD.

11. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

When I was in a smaller truck I'd pick up some of these jobs here and there. As the owner of the company I thought this was my choice since I could evaluate each situation. I will not allow my employees to take on any one time accounts no matter what since there is no contract and it's my rear end should any problems arrise. Those i did take on were only under the following conditions: 1) Signed waiver 2) When I was done with all other accounts 3) Customer paid "cash", not checks made out to cash

Now that I have a 9' 2" blade on the truck it's really easy to tell people "Sorry, my blade/truck are too large to fit in your driveway". I'm much happier not taking on these jobs. Besides, there's too much risk for the occasional $40 or $50.

12. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

Snow God Father

Always cash on one timers.

13. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I've had about one check bounce in close to 10 years, check is fine with me. They also took care of it right away.

Not like I don't know where they live.

14. Brother1

Brother1 Member

If we are ahead of schedule and things are going ok we'll do it when we are there but we charge a $60 minimum and that goes up depending on the dwy and the amount of snow. Meaning that it is $60 for a storm less then 4" and if it is a flat dwy with somewhere to push. If we have to back blade or its a hill cost goes up and it goes up substantially. Last thing we need is more headaches than we already have. And it is cash before we start and we're not shovelling anything at all - even if there is a laborer in the truck for shovelling at our regular clients. What I love are the phone calls we get during the storm that say - "I am so-and-so's neighbor and you just did their dwy and I was wondering if you could come back and do mine". Why couldnt they ask when we were there?? I tell them we'll come back to take a look at it after we're done with our regular accounts and then give them the min charge over the phone. If they still want it we'll go back.