1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Water softner salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pjslawncare, Jan 26, 2004.

1. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Id rather ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake. Is water softner salt OK to salt parking lots with. Seems at Lowes, thats all they have at the moment

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I see property owners do it. It doesn't work nearly as well as #2. The smaller the granule, the faster it disolves, the more effective it is. Water softener salt is way too large a granule to be used effectively.

Honestly, I laugh every time I see softener pellets on the ground.

Now, the granule type softener salt is fine to use. It costs more because it is much cleaner salt. It is food grade whereas road salt has dirt in it because it hasn't been as refined.

3. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Thanks Christopher, Actually the stuff I got is pritty fine (blue bagged "solar salt") so I think Ill be alrite with it this time. Thank you for your input :)

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I see alot of guys use solat salt. Personally I use ice-away with sodium chloride. Next year, I'm switching to triple melt.:nod: