1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

water softener salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JTVLandscaping, Mar 6, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

My local farm store works deals with contractors where you buy a pallet of salt, and they store it. You essentially buy the pallet, come to the store and tell them how much your taking. They don't actually set the pallet aside for you, which I kinda was hoping. Now, they're gearing up for spring and ran out of rock salt. We have snow coming, I still had 30 bags left. I was pretty happy because it seemed like I hit it right, not running out but not having to much left. They gave me water softener salt insted. I've never used it. Does it work as good as the halite??? I was in a jam so I took it thinking salt is salt but should I be worried about this?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We've used it before, in a pinch, and it works fine.

3. crazyskier537

crazyskier537 Senior Member
    from NE IL

You'll be fine. There's lots of different meshes of this stuff, so be sure you didn't buy the one's that are the size of marbles. (Been there, done that) The only main difference is that the water softener salt is much more pure.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

thats what we have used to mix with sand and it works great

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought 2 skinds of softner salt this year, and had no problems with it at all. Works just like road rock salt.

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

sodium is sodium

same as all above. It works fine.

7. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I got 2 pallets also, the larger marble size salt when slung bounces and flies farther, just something to consider

8. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

The post office in my town went with the low bid and this clown uses his truck to clear the walkways onto the street. Add to that, the other day with a light dusting, he used the gems on the steps and walks. The walks look nice with the rust stains from the cutting edge, and I am sure the salt will do wonders in the chips of the joints that could not withstand the force of the plow. I guess you get what you pay for..

9. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I plowed a sidewalk once this year, but it was 3-4' of drifts, and I choked up on the blade so no damage to the concrete. It was at that point I realized this wasn't your average snowstorm

10. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what I use on my walks 80# bag for 6.50 its pretty small pieces.

11. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

Ive used the rock salt in the past when the store ran out of the good stuff and it was between rock salt labled for ice and rock salt labled for water softeners worked just fine then when winter was over I dumped the left over bags in the softener so it was a win win

12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

In short, softener salt is solar, "rock" salt (halite) is mined. Both work fine, solar tends to brine up quicker, which can be a blessing and a curse.

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I actually really like the "solar" salt. It works well and is quite uniform in "pellet" size.

14. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

When the snow melts and does not dissolve the gems, it is like walking on rocks.

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

There is a difference between "solar" softener salt and "compacted pellet" softener salt...

16. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

its there loss. softner salt compared to halite, pretty big price difference.

17. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Yeah--compacted pellets are "time release". As in "it will be there to fight snow next winter, too".

:laughing:

18. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

So it melts the snow SOFTLY?

19. snownice

snownice Junior Member
    from 60010

we keep 5 pallets for back up. Seems to work fine in a pinch

20. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I just bought a pallet of solar salt from farm and fleet today $4 a bag. the thing i like about solar salt is it seem to "stick around" longer. If your melting alot of ice/hard pack the pellets dont dissolve as fast.