1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Water Softener as Ice Melt. Opinions Needed QUICKLY!!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Aura Lawns, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

I need ice melt and I have to use Water Softener, the question is should I use the Coarse or pellets? Which is more efficient, I will be using in a push spreader.

I need the advice quickly!!!!

Thanks in advance

ussmileyflag

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Solar salt isn't Icemelt but will melt ice. Here that's is only thing is left everybody is out stock of everything else for walks. It works but works slower then icemelt but faster then rock salt

3. myzx6

myzx6 Member

I used pellets the other day on a cpl resi and they worked ok, the pellets don't seem to dissolve all that well so I ended up busting them up as best as I could wich did make them more effective. After I was done I found an autoparts store that had half a pallet of ice melt left when I was getting parts for my truck. That was the only place I and apparently everyone else never thought to look for ice melt lol

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I've used a few pallets of solar salt before with decent results. It's a product that's always available, our supplier charges the same price for 80lb bags of solar or rock salt, and if it doesn't get used up in spring I can use it at a few properties I own that have water softener units.
    Think of it as a supplement that's easy to come by.

5. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Here in Indianapolis most distributors are out of ice melt and rock salt altogether, some of the big box hardware stores have limited supply of salt/ice melt and solar salt available. walmart usually has solar salt as well at a reasonable price, 4.60 for 40# bags. never tried the big pellets, my tgs wouldnt agree with that. solar salt is basically the same thing as rock salt, just produced a different way, its all calcium cloride

6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

if I was using a push spreader I would prefer solar salt over rock salt because it flows easier

7. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping Member

No it is not all calcium chloride, it is all sodium chloride, big difference.

8. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

yea.thats what I meant. ...its been a long winter

9. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

wish I could find some c.c.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Salt is salt, it will work. Water softener salt is just a cleaner grade of salt and more comsistantly sized (as opposed to our bulk salt which has stones, fines and coarse salt in it...

The last time we had a shortage in our area I was only salting one property, so I was still using bags. All I could get was the compressed salt pellets for softeners, but my ProFlo2 spread em like a champ! They were slooooooow to work at first but once traffic got to running over them they broke up and worked a whole lot better, did the trick for me!

11. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

12. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

The bigger chunks most likely won't spread with a walk behind spreader and you will most likely have issues with a tailgate spreader as well. I would definitely try to get the smaller pieces so they will spread easily. If not you might be putting a guy in the back and having him throw salt by hand.

Michael

13. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

14. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Really ? Have you tried it ? I have, and it flows much nicer than bulk straight salt , treated salt. There are no fines in the bags and the size is very consistent , plus it's completely devoid of moisture due to the sealed bags.

15. Antlerart06

16. Antlerart06

You are thinking about pellets not solar salt
    Solar salt is the size of icemelt and spreads better then rock salt in a push spreader or a tail gate spreader that has a auger

17. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

I've recently used the same stuff and it worked good. I was between solar salt and Urea but for the price I thought I'd give it a try and it worked fine. I had no problem with it spreading out of my walk behind spreader. I wish they would put rock salt in those bags. They seem to keep the moisture out better than any other bags.

18. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping Member

Yes it has

So do I