1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

water pump?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Mar 8, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I have a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 2500, and there is a leak somewhere by the rear of the waterpump, that I thought might be the waterpump, or the gaskets, so I pulled it and it looks fine, and the gaskets dont actually look all that bad either, what else back there could be leaking incase its not the gaskets?

2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

The intake manifold

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

How could you tell if they went bad, where would they leak?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

They can leak anywhere along the intake/head. I'd be willing to bet it's the intake. The Vortec motors were notorious for intake gaskets, plastic gasket with a rubber insert. I've done plenty of them.

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

How hard? Im still learning, but so far my Chilton book and me havent found something we couldnt overcome!purplebou

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The waterpump may look fine but it will leak from a little hole in the bottom of it if the seals are bad. But I will bet it is the crappy gaskets too. Pull the intake and replace all the gaskets and get a new water pump.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is it leaking from the weap hole? If so its the pump. THose pumps go bad all the time on the series truck. Not to hard t fix either.

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Since youve already got the pump off I would replace it. They are not that expensive. I had the intake gaskets done on my truck for about $600. The tricky part is the distributor, if you dont get it back in its correct position your timing will be off and it either wont run or it will run very bad. You cant use a timing light on the 96 + vortecs it requires an expensive scan tool to set the timing (not the cheap auto parts store ones).

9. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Check near the weep hole for evidence of staining, that is a sign it has been leaking. how do the bearings feel?

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Not a clue:confused:, Im in a little over my head on this one I think.:cry:

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

where in mn are you

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Just replace waterpump and gaskets for now, then if you still have a leak go for intake etc. To bad ya didnt pressure test the system after the engine was warmed up a bit. Under a pressure it will show.

14. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I think the water pump is still okay, and I really only have the $$ to replace one or the other right now. I think I will reinstall the WP, and hope it worked, or go for the intake if not.

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I woud repace the water pump its about a 40 dollar pump on that truck and 5 or so core. Most auto parts stores shoud have one on the shelf. You already have it out and for that price its your best bet. JMO

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im thinking I will, its just that, Im not sure its the problem, and I really wont have ANY cash for the intake issues if thats the problem.

17. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I would definitly replace the water pump since you have it off already. bearings on your old pump should spin smoothly, there should be no play in the shaft. if the seals have gone bad it will leak out of the weep hole which is probably what is happening.ussmileyflag

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Yes if you do reinstall it check the weep hole with the truck running and look for any coolant coming out.

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I just looked at the weephole on it, and it looks bone dry. I can see where it got dripped on/around from the leak, but the weep hole is bone dry. Im really wanting to look into that truck on craigslist. But I dont have the $$ for the repair, so the truck is out of the question for a while too, but for $550, it seems like a much better deal than duumping too much into mine that will just break back down.

20. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

get it, build one good truck