1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

water pump/fan removal

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Dec 18, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

any body give me some tips for removing the fan from the old water pump... im having a hard time

I already know its right hand threads

2. chriswittlock

chriswittlock Junior Member

what kinda of truck and what year

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

soak it in wd-40 for a while. apply a little heat. place a flat tip punch on the flat part of the nut were the wrench will go, and smack it with a hammer on all 6 flat sides.

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Get an air chisel and a fan clutch tool that goes into an air chisel.. After you use that you'll never use anything else. At the very least you need the fan clutch tool (to hold it)..

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I just use a wrench and a medium sized screwdriver...... Always works good for me.

6. no lead

i often will try the air chisel way but this summer i ruined a fan clutch assy on a 2008 dodge diesel. that sucked.:gunsfiring:

7. no lead

i see only one of my guns are firing.

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Try an open end wrench that fits or a 12 inch adjustable wrench. Leave the belt on, put the wrench on the nut and hit the wrench with a hammer (in the proper direction of course).