1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Water making the truck run bad..

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jer96SS, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Jer96SS

Jer96SS Junior Member

Im just wondering if anybody has a simailar problem. Sometimes when i drive through a large puddle my truck will start to hesitate and if i give it gas it doesnt wasnt to go anywhere. But it doesnt die. And after a minute or two it will be fine. I have a 99 1500 sport with the 5.9L.
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

yup...had it, after it would rain hard one night or go through a puddle it would sputter, almost like it was missing a cylinder...for me it was the distributer cap, moisture got in there through a crack i guess (even though i didn't see any) and messed up the contacts, when you drive further down the road the contacts dry off and the truck fires fine...i replaced the cap for $7 and havent had the problem since.
  3. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

had the same problem on my 01 about 3 months after i bought it brand new,i went thru an automatic car wash where the jets spray the under carriage, truck started sputtering then died,had to wait a while before i could re start it, took it in to the dealer it was a frayed wire to the distributer.
  4. antisabre

antisabre Junior Member

i had the same problem at one time with my 98 1500. Excuse me if i say the wrong part name or term, i'm a late bloomer for working on my truck. but for me it was the ignition coil i believe its called. the spark plug type thingy off to the left of the motor. i would have to unplug the wire and dry out the inside with a rag. i got the wire replaced and haven't had the problem again.
  5. Jer96SS

Jer96SS Junior Member

Thanks guys, ill see what i can do.
  6. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

Dodge service technicain just showed me best way to test this problem with a dodge coil the other day. Pour water over entire coil while running, if anything other than normal running occurs the coil is bad. Also the distributor caps are known to crack - may want a new cap and rotor.