1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Water Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crossboneracing, Apr 19, 2011.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Just thought I'd post this in a different thread but recently a friends truck (96 k3500 chevy) has been leaking water on to the pass side floor mat. It seems to be leaking from around the fan area and you can hear the fan hitting water when you turn it on until it leaks out. Its NOT coolant just to be clear and only when it rains. Any ideas on where its leaking from or if maybe a drain is plugged? Thanks guys!

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I would guess the windshield seal has dry rotted and is leaking. Tak eoff the trim and run a hose along the edges

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

There was a TSB on leaks entering through the cowl into one of the seams.

4. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Anyone have a copy or link to the tsb? He said its leaking into the fan and hes worried about electical issues

5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

What I would do is remove the cowl cover and heater fan. Have someone run a hose on top with very light water pressure. The other person checking the source of the entry. Also the is a rubber "L" shaped drain located on the fire wall directly under the fan motor in the engine compartment. That may be clogged.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Certain its water and not coolant?

7. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag i got same leak on 98 chevy.... i no their is someone on here that has had and found out why please advise i had my fan freeze :eek:in winter months before

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Check the trim screws in the cowl area. I had a windshield changed one time on my 98 and the guy didn't put one of them back and it leaked down into the heater box and onto the floor.

9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I believe this is the winner. I had the same problem on my 98 K3500 when it rained and discovered that one of the screws holding the black trim pieces at the base of the windshield was missing. I replaced the screw and put silicone over the top of it and no more leaks. I also put silicone over the heads of the rest of the screws just in case.

Sometimes it is coming from other places on the cowl though. Go over to the fullsizechevy forum under technical and there is a sticky dedicated to this exact problem.

Good luck, Wayne

10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I am a windshield tech and sometimes where the body seam is under the cowl gets a crack, or dirt is plugging the drains under the cowl also..Or also and usually is one of the screws left out. In the corners there is a piece of the cowl where there is 1 screw , take out the screw and wiggle the trim piece out, check if there was a screw left out under there. also lift the hood , you should see 1 on each end , make sure those are there.the other screws in the cowl(i think 4) they just hold down the cowl and do not have anything to do with water leaking if the are missing. I take these cowls off 2-3 times a week. some models after you take the end trim pieces off dont even have screws so if there isnt a hole there look elswhere.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011