1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Water Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k&j Landscaping, Mar 8, 2010.

1. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Cleaned truck up yesterday and took out drivers side floormats. Carpet was absolutely saturated under floormat. Vacuumed water up and let sit overnight to dry. Washed truck this a.m. and felt around and UNDER the carpet in the floor is saturated. Checked all door gaskets. Look good. Any clue as to where water might come from before I go to body shop to get repaired. Water under carpet is no good, will obviously lead to rot. Do have a popping noise by hvac area by glove box. Goes away after i turn down the temp. controls to cool rather than hot. Bad heater core? Heater core leaking and saturating cab under carpet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Passenger side? If it's coolant, you will smell it. And the radiator will be low.

The heater box has a drain that could be plugged.
  3. k&j Landscaping

The saturation is under the drivers side. Where is the heater box drain? Coolant level is good also. Called my shop today and what they described it is not heater core. Truck is really dusty inside so maybe plugged up? Shop seemed to think alot of leftover snowmelt. I do snowblow too so boots are pretty full of snow. Not as neat as i should be with truck:)
  4. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

if u dried it and then washed it and is saturated i would say u have a leak not snowmelt!! popping noise u have under right side of dash sounds like an actuator going past it travel since u say u turn down heat sounds like the airtemp actuator which is not causing a water leak if u have elctronic a/c/heat controls have it scanned for codes!! now for water leak do you have a sunroof? if so u need too check and see if debris is stopping up the drain channels. i have also seen a water leak sevral time around the outside high mount stoplamp running in and going too floorboard check ur headliner in back and see if there is evidence of any stains
  5. k&j Landscaping

found grommet fell out of firewall where installers ran wiring for plow by throttle wires. Counldn,t get grommet back in so siliconed up hole by fuse block real good. Drying carpet as I write this. Start with the obvious, could see right into engine compartment through 1.5" hole. Good clue huh?