1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

water in fuel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fercho1, Feb 9, 2011.

1. fercho1

fercho1 Member

We have a 2009 f 550 that has been at the dealer once before with a water in fuel problem and now its back again with the same issue, we verified the fuel (where we purchase it ) to be good, my friend thinks its comming from the fact that ford pre heats its fuel (on the 6 4 motor) and its returning into the tank and causing water to form. Now my injectors are wiped out along with the pump (s) any one had a similar issue?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Your friend's thinking is wrong.How could that possibly happen,turning fuel into water? No--older Detroit Diesels had a similar arrangement,it actually helped control gelling problems.To verify a station's tanks for water is next to impossible,that's where you most likely got the water from.I'm a Dmax guy but there's no ''water in fuel'' message in a PS or a drain in your filter to be proactive?

3. fercho1

fercho1 Member

let me clarify, not turning fuel into water but when the warm fuel returns into the tank it passes through cold lines and into a cold tank as it cools it forms condensation. The condensation collects and eventually water forms. Also another bit to this is that according to the tech, if you use bio fuel and run through this "heating" process it can seperate the fuel and cause it to break down and seperate the water content as well. This is what i was told, just asking for some help or lite to be shed on this

Fernando

4. fercho1

fercho1 Member

also the water lite has come on to indicate a problem as well

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Nope, your mistaking on this one, there is a paste that you can buy (not sure were anymore) that we used after every drop/shipment of fuel.

Also, I believe that if you suspect there is water in the fuel, the state Dept of Ag can be contacted and they will take a sample of the fuel to test.. I think its the dept of ag, that does this still. It may be differet per state..

We would rub the paste on the "stick" (measurement stick to check the level/gal of fuel in the in ground tanks) Yes the old school way as this was 10+ years ago.
    Anyway, the past was white/grey in color, you rubbed it on the stick, dropped it in the tank and when you pulled it up out fo the tank, if the fuel had water in it the past would turn pink if I remember correctly.

Of course the water was on the bottom, so you just sucked it out with a hand pump till it was below the pickup for the fuel pumps.

All fuel tanks have water and other crud in the bottom foot or so(depending on the tank) The problem is that all these chain stations never clean out there sludge, so it ends up in peoples fuel tanks, one reason there are filters on the fuel pumps now. But if they are not changed after every shipment, they just bypass the filter when they get dirty and the crud gets into your vehicle....

I grew up in a gas station, father owned 10 when we I was a kid, and he owned one up till about 6-8 years ago... I used that paste and pumped the sludge out of many a tanks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

If your water in fuel light came on then you should have drained your filter or changed it then! This can happen over the winter that's why most of us use power service or other fuel treatments and carry spare fuel filters. It's all part of owning a diesel. I really can't imagine that you had enough water to ruin the injectors and the truck still ran?

7. tuney443

This was in no way what my answer was construed to be.I simply meant that by the time water might have been detected in the op's truck and then the phone calls reach out to the proper authorities to check station's quality/quantity of fuel,the problem might not be around any more for a whole host of reasons.I think most of us all know about sumps,levels of pickup tubes,filters,etc.,etc.

8. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I hope all my 7.3s last until Ford finally gets a good motor again.....best fix is to sell it....lol. In the past week alone I have seen (2) 6.0 motors with check engine lights on and 1 with the water in fuel light on....(he and I both fuel up at same station....go figure that one out) and (1) 6.4 that the turbo let go and took the motor with it @ 62k miles. Sorry to go off topic and hope you get this worked out.

9. tuney443

You can come on over you know to the dark side---we have candy.:nod::nod::nod:

D-U-R-A-M-A-X

10. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

On another note the new diesel contains ethynol which attracts moisture or the station could be cutting the fuel with biodiesel and as long as that cut is less than 20% they are not obligated to disclose that to you......good luck

11. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Lol......putting on my flame suit for this.....maybey if if Chevy stepped it up and built a comparable truck to the 450 or 550 I would.....but until then:nono: . Not enough towing capacity once you put a service body on the truck,and I dont need any hassels from the DOT around here. I know.....the C4500 series would do it but not exactly but not really good for servicing residential clients....at least around here anyway. I was actually told that if you get a good salesman you can order a new 450/550 chassis cab with a Cummins motor new from Ford