1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

water in fuel [diesel]

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rainair, Jul 3, 2005.

1. rainair

rainair Senior Member

the cussing is all but over, contacted Marathon oil in Ohio, and tried to contact sta owner [yea like he's going to take that call] but any way...
    stopped a local Marathon gas sta. and got 10 bucks worth and yea before you ask I did get a receipt!!!! went from there to the cemetery to stop by my son's grave. started up truck and no power, blue smoke and found a place to stop and shut it down... started it up and got it to pass all te problem I thought! ...... well what I am needing to know from you guys that know the peanut oil engine aka diesel engine.... what can I do for this...water in fuel?

2. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

change filters drain the water trap..and if its still a problme drain the feul tank and start fresh....oh and power service brand additive works wonders

jeff

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be a problem with the engine too, it just picked now to do it.
    Water in fuel light lit on the dash?
    It tells you you need to drain the water separator. I used to put fuel additive in every time I filled up the tank just to be safe.
    Check your gas tank / tanks vent lines too, they draw air through a carbon canister
    (engine compartment) into your tanks to keep it from vapor locking as fuel is drawn out. These lines tend to rust out because they are real thin tubing, then your drawing air with moisture,dust and water into the tanks.
    If it has steel gas tanks they tend to rust out on top and where the straps touch them.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  4. rainair

rainair Senior Member

water in fuel lamp

No lamp on ...bought truck used so I did not know there was such a lamp on the 01 dodge

5. MickiRig1

Check the owners manual to see how you drain the water separator. No manual? Parts stores have the single model repair books,make sure you get the diesel models included book. The Fords I drive have a pull handle under the hood. It drains out under the truck dumping the water and some diesel fuel on the ground. You don't want to run it for long with water in the fuel. Water is like running sand through the injectors, it chews them up!

6. rainair

rainair Senior Member

looking for the water trap...there is a hose off of the fuel filter thats a drain hose the I believe is done by the electric system but taking it to a diesel shop in the morning. and getting a sample of fuel taken then see if its got water in it... if so taking it to Finlay Oh to Marathon oil

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Suggestion_ Learn about the smokers fast- before you end up with a major problem caused by a simple mistake that you didn't know about.

Water in fuel is a BIG problem if it gets by the fuel/water seperator.

ALL diesel trucks on the road today have a senser in the seperator with a corrosponding light in the dash but just because the light is not on it doesn;t mean youhave no water in the fuel. The sending units go bad and need to be cleaned (DC says change every fuel filter change, but there's no need to change it- just clean the probes)

Every time you pop the hood to check the oil you should draw off a little from the seperator- this should be done every time you add fuel, you know...

read the OM in the glovebox- a diesel is nothing like a gas truck.

All stations have to moniter the h2o in the tanks- the new stations have electronic level monitering of the fuel and h20. It's possible to get h20 in a fill, but unlikly it is from a single fill up. It accumulates over time if you don;t drain it- and based on your post it's not the station's fault- it's your's. (as they say Ignorance of the law is not an excuse- neither is ignorance of maintenance. The truck doesn't care that you don't know about oil change intervals, or the h20 seperator.)

the Clymer/haynes manual is so-so at best- in fact the Owner's manual has almost as much useful info diesel specific.

the hose is the drain to route the draining fuel away from the truck, the wires are to the light in the dash. It is not, and never is automatic.

8. fuel additive

What type of additive can you add to diesel fuel to get rid of water? I see many products that claim to eliminate water in fuel? Any suggestions? I just picked up my first Diesel and have a lot to learn..... :nod:

9. rainair

rainair Senior Member

diesels are great

there is a separator for the water... that some are automatic drain, some don't.. just be careful to not run out of fuel ... bad day coming with that..
    something I am doing and I find its working.... I am putting a 32oz bottle of veggy oil in every fill up.... more mpg and more power.. just my part of biodiesel.....

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I use powerservice- available at Walmart and most truck stops. Follw mixing directions.

Drain the water seperator at EVERY fuel fill up. Dodges are not automatic (never seen an automatic one actually- even on big rigs but would love to find one).

Start talking to the other diesel owners in the area when you fill up- you'll find out quick who has contaminated tanks in town.

There is no "home remedy" for h20 removal- draining the system is the only real solution.

Adding Veggie should not increase anything. Veggie has the same cetane rating, same lubricity rating, and same but content as diesel. Check out one of the MANY SVO websites- there are lots of people converting diesel's to run Straight Veggie Oil. It performs the same.

Probabily mind over matter- took the cap off mine 2 days ago for the first time in a year- my father has been driving it to work for a few months (shorter run than me and diesel was more expensive than gas). Yesterday he comments " I think taking that cap off has tremendousily increased your gas milage". Like after 2 days of driving 4 miles to work each day there would be any difference.

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Power Service is good stuff, you dont need an eye dropper to put it in the tank either. Just dump in what is recommended I usually go a lil heavy.
    Every couple tanks I throw in some marvel mystery oil with the power service, good for the injector pump !
    Todd

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Here here. Marvel oil is great stuff. I run some of that in the fuel every so often, if I wasn't running synthetic oil I'd use it in there too.
    Been useing that in vehicles for years- glad to know I am not alone!

13. MickiRig1

I had an 81 Toyota diesel pickup (bought new) that I ran Mystery Oil for 200K.
    I had an old timer diesel mechanic come up to me at the gas pumps and tell me about it. He said it helps the injector pump pump to last and any moving parts. The injection system was never touched in 200k miles. My Dad bought it off me at 100k and he's not real good with on time maintenance.

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I use the additive all the , mostly winter. Great stuff no problems here yet.

15. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Water In Fuel

The Guys Are Right Drain Off The Water Every Time You Fill Up. Just Dont Forget To Flip The Lever Back Down Before You Start The Engine. Pop The Hood, Stand By The Drivers Side Tire, Look To Your Right-back Toward The Dash, And On The Rear Of The Motor Youll See A Round Filter With A Little Black Lever On It. Just Pop Up That Lever And Drain Off The Water. Make Sure That The Hose Comming Off The Filter Is Not Clogged Up. Caution!!! Dont Leave The Lever Up To Long Or You Can Cause An Air Lock In The Fuel Dilevery Line/system. But Thats A Whole Nother Story. Just Change Your Fuel Filter About Every 3 Oil Changes And You Should Be Fine. Thats If Water In Fuel Is The Problem.

16. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Big Truck Dealerships carry....

Hello, Go to a real truck dealership,Navistar,Mack etc... you get the idea, they carry a full line of fuel additives for diesels to take water out, to prevent jelling,to thaw frozen fuel etc....I have run the additives in my big trucks and have never had a problem, four trucks running in over ten years.
    I also do PM,New fluids and filters every season.
    As far as having contaminated fuel I would pump as much out as I could and add some additive,change the filter and try again.Might want to carry a couple of filters till the water is run threw.