1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Water getting in LINZ 6's

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Jim15, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

As stated in the title, I bought 12 LINZ 6's from Strobesn'more about a year ago, 4 for each pick up and 4 for a loader. I've only installed them on one pickup so far. I have 6' side mount toolboxes in the bed of my truck, I surface mounted 2 on the back of each box, right above the top of the tailgate. I used the chrome flanges instead of the black plastic flanges. Did all of the wiring inside the toolboxes. The only thing I did not do, which the instructions didn't say to, but I think I should have, was silicone where the wires go into the light.

Any the lights worked perfectly when I installed them, and they haven't been used that much. Over the course of the year all 4 lights have gotten some moisture in them, and now one of them has completely burned out, and the other 3 still light up pretty bright, but they are on steady burn and won't change patterns.

I can see water in one of them, I tried dumping it out through where the wires go, but it wouldn't come out. I looked and it looked like one of the corners of the metal back of the light was cracked. I used the factory supplied screws and didn't over crank them, so I'm not sure what could have caused the crack.

Has anyone else had these issues with these lights? Needless to say I'm not impressed with them.

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Jim,

This is a known issue at Whelen and they will replace them free of charge with the brand-new lights. All you have to do is mail them to Whelen's repair department. I want to say it was this past summer we had a big delay in getting inventory and it was because they pulled all they had off-the-shelf made a design change and then started shipping the ones with the fix.

3. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Should I just mail in the ones that I installed/have moisture in them, or did they recall all of them? Also would silconing where the wires go in help, or is the moisture problem due to cracking? Thanks again for the reply and great customer service during and after sale.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Last year, 3 of my 4 developed problems. Guessing 3-4 years old. I sent them in the Whelen and they replace them within a few business days no questions asked

5. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Anybody know if Whelen is replacing these defective lightheads out of warranty?

I sent in a bunch of LIN4 heads (within the 5yr warranty), and they were replaced no questions asked. I can't complain about that.

However, I am stuck with 4 LINZ6 and 10 LIN4 heads that have either completely stopped functioning or have moisture inside (not long before complete failure).

Great lightheads, but I wish I could get them to last.

Will be looking for an alternative in the future.

6. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I use whelen alot and never have issues when there is they take care of them no matter what great product and company.

7. GLS

GLS Senior Member

If you never have issues how do you know they take care of them no matter what?

Just busting your chops. In my experience, they will take care of any warranty issues.

I just wish I could buy a lighthead that doesn't fail.

8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Cool. I have a pair of LIN-6 in white I use as DRL's (daytime runnning lights... a few years ago there were few quality LED options), steady burn on my roadster, noticed some consensation behind the lens, they still work though. Will they accept them with no documentation? I don't even remember where I purchased them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    John