1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Watch where you put those stakes for snow fences!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 17, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

20 inches into the ground???? seems a little deep for a snow stake.
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

still looking for who installed the fence......:whistling: dont you live & work in NY grandview?;)
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

"No word on who installed the fence". Who installed the gas line that was only 20" below grade, , you shouldn't be hitting a gas line driving stakes in for a snow fence...you also shouldn't need a stake out to install a snow fence.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. Township1

Township1 Member

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

From the article it says dorm housing (i believe). I'm familiar with the area chances are the college personel put up the fence. While I understand what you are saying about "fence posts", by code here fence posts need to be something like 42" (below frost line), these are for permanent fences. A family member owned a fence install company for a while, & I do excavating so I understand the laws. I just wouldn't consider a snow fence that, more of a temporary, safety type fence, just my lines of thinking, which I guess should be re-thougt. I looked up the code for gas lines it is 18" to 36", depending on area (I'm guessing town), which makes no sence since water is 48-60" (because of freezing), but if a water line ruptures it makes a small mess, a gas line makes a big mess.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Unfortunately it's going to add to the wordage in our insurance policies. If we confuse staking and snow fencing here, you can bet the media and insurance underwriters are going to too. 20 inches is not uncommon for a tbar to hold up snow fence.
    Figures they attach the caution tape to a dodge plow truck.......I'm willing to bet he/she is glad they didn't logo up their truck at this point.
  8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

lmao, Prob very true, It is strange that they would allow lines to be buried only 20". here it's a min 3'/36" but I've found some only 2'
  9. awgolasplowing

awgolasplowing Member

:nono: that sucks one more person to add to unemployment.
  10. awgolasplowing

awgolasplowing Member

are these stakes made of metal or wood? I can't see a wooden one doing this. and by "snow fence" does that mean there is something that goes in between from stake to stake?
  11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I just thought that it was rather ironic that the county director of emergency services has the last name "Luckey"....and feels the need to make a statement about the walls being blown out & that the building is unsafe. Yup, looks unsafe from here.
  12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes, if you put the snow fence around the entire parking lot, it will prevent snow from falling on the lot. Thereby not having to plow that lot. :nod: Thumbs Up
  13. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

20" is deep I've found some gas lines 6" under the sod, Up in Amherst / williamsville the bed rock is very shallow so the cheap gas company wont blast or break the rock. So their fix is to lay it on top, than topsoil and hydro seed. Awesome finding a 4" line with a blade edger....
  14. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Most electrical wiring is only required to be 18", some as shallow as 12". Just something else to worry about hitting. Thumbs Up
  15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

A snow fence is used to stop snow DRIFTING. You build this fence some distance UPWIND of the area to be protected, and install a fence that blocks WIND. What happens is that you get a low pressure zone on the DOWNWIND side of the fence, which pulls in the drifting snow and causes it to pile up there rather than continue drifting.

Obviously, it doesn't stop regular snowfall accumulations, but it will prevent your parking lot from being filled up 4 feet deep (i.e., the height of your snow banks) from a half inch powdery snow fall.
  16. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Lawyer #1: It is the person who installed the stake who is responsible.
    Lawyer #2: The person was an employee. It is the company's fault.
    Lawyer #3: It is the stake manufacturer's fault. No warning label on stake "Do not hit gas line."
    Lawyer #4: Gas line manufacturer's fault. Gas pipe should not puncture when stake is driven into it.
    Lawyer #5: Who buried the pipe? It is their fault.
    Lawyer #6: Who caused the spark in the utility room?
  17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

They're all wrong. It's obviously the fault of the manufacturer of the hammer that was used to drive the stake. There should have been an anti-stake-into-gas-line device on the hammer.