1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Watch This Guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motorider000, Mar 29, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

OK I have psychic powers. I just bought a new federal highlighter with the nice magnetic/suction mount for my truck. Now I am still in highschool and many kids are VERY immature. Now I would remove the light everyday but then I would be too lazy to put it back on everyday (have the cig lighter mounted to a switch). I bet that sooner or later (probably sooner) this light will come up damaged or missing. Oh well, we'll see....
  2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Why would you have it on your truck when your not plowing? :confused:
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

That is exactly what I was thinking. Why would you want to put it on and off everyday. Way too much work. I bet I know the answer. No offense, and I am still a kid sometimes (aren't we all?) ---"Cause it looks cool" ;)

Dude, YOU ARE ALREADY COOL! You are in school and do more than I did. I just wish I was as cool as you are when I was back in school. (I'm cool now LOL). Just take it off cause I got a feeling you are right too.

God I miss those days. Just wish I knew then what I know now!
    Any other "Old guys" ever thought or said that? How many times?

Brings back memories.

If I am way off base, then I apologize.

4. motorider000

Acctually I do not think it looks cool (especially without a plow) and my truck is all lettered up so I am definately not trying to show off with the ugly light. I have alot of jobsites along busy roads and with my truck and my 16' trailer I just cannot fit into the driveways anymore (besides thats unprofessional). My employees are obiviously walking around the truck all the time and most of them are my friends. I would not be able to forgive myself if one of them got hit.

P.S. Even though I have 5 of my friends and my dad (most people don't believe that but it is true) working for me, they are all legit and all on the payroll, yes i do collect taxes, and yes I do carry workers comp.
  5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Everyday brother....Just wish I'd known how how much all the stupid **** I did, would take a toll on my body! :gunsfiring:
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Ok Motor, Ive asked this before and in no way am I bashing you. How the heck do you get commercial insurance for your vehicle ? My trucks can not be touched by anyone under 28 years old, and yes all employee's are listed. So if your in high school how the frig are you ligit ?? When I was that age I paid 2000 grand a year for liability for a truck no commercial at all . If I worked the truck it was not legally covered. The insurance would not cover a work accident period. No coverage for a work related accident and drop me. I dont know how you guys are pullin this off, maybe things are different from 20 years ago. I just dont know how you guys claim your legit. Comp is good for an accident for your employee but that is it. Your liability insurance must pick up for this but I doubt it. Even an umbrella will have certain limitations, I think you guys are foolin yourselfs on make believe coverage. Ask your agent point blank if your covered in a "work" related accident with a truck. Like I said before Im not bashin just would like to know how your insured. I could not get commercial insurance at that age. Maybe Im just out of touch.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  7. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Um I'm 16 and under the companies truck's insurance. Seems that the insurance companies really don't care when it comes to pickups on age but larger vehicles like the international truck that we use for deliveries you have to be at least 21 to drive.
  8. motorider000

All of the insurance it in my dad's name until 10/21/05 when I turn 18. I am registered exactly like we register our employees which is giving the insurance company a copy of our drivers license and social security card. The only thing that they will not insure me for is DOT certified veihicles which weigh over 20000lbs (truck and trailer) I am plated at 9000 and 9000 and i don't overload (anymore) so i am at 18,000 pounds.

My dad and I keep the business / father thing separated very well. Anything that he needs to cosign he does as my father. When we are in the field working he is an employee.

And yes my insurance premiums are VERY high!
  9. motorider000

We also do carry 1 million in liability coverage.

And, Yes we have confronted the agent point blank. And unless he is lying we are fully covered.
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

That is good your insured. If you run it threw your dads name that explains how a minor can have commercial insurance. Like I stated before I attempted to get insurance for my truck as a minor and the agent laughed at me. At 120 plus a month for auto liability as a minor, I would guess your paying way more then that per vehicle to be legit.. Its good to know there are customers who will pay you what you need to get to be legit.
    My commercial auto/ liability/comp/ and umbrella insurance now at 38 is high enough too start too hack into the profits.(GOOD business man would raise his rates right?) I would think from a business standpoint it would be hard to be profitable paying sky is the limit insurance premiums. My workers comp bills each month make me want to puke, I cant imagine paying that kind of money for auto too.

11. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Yeah but his operating/living expenses are a LOT less than your's.

Good for you dude. I've been reading this thread for a while and thought I'd reply. I like to work as a sub so I don't have to deal with all this directly. One of the other kids that works for the guy I do was only 15 when he started. He plowed with an S10 on private property(inactive lots, overnight). But it was still a concern, you never know. He's older now and nothing ever happened. I never talked to him in great detail about it, but I'm pretty sure he was impossible to insure properly/completely.

12. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I would build a backrack, or buy one, and mount it permanently. That would take care of them taking it off. If they mess with it when mounted like that, then they would have done it whether you have a light or not.

If that happens, press charges and make them pay if you can find out (witnesses, or...). They probably don't make money like you do, so that would hurt them or not. Even when not in school, you have to deal with vandalism. Some kids can be jerks, some stupid, others stupid jerks. That's life I guess, but is no excuse.

If what you say is true (I don't doubt you), then I have high respect for you as a business man, and more than ilkely you will be a giant success when you are my age.

13. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I'm also in highschool and same thing was on my mind for next winter, I don't want a big amber light on the roof, and I want somethign that I dont' have to put on and off and i think those tiny cheap-azz lights are useless. I plan on getting a led mini lightbar. There only like 200 bucks brand new and half the people woudn't even notice it or be able to see it or know what it is.
  14. motorider000

I would like to do the backrack thing for safety also but money is tight and this won't be my personal truck for long. I am leasing a new 2500. I have found out that a 6' tall person cannot reach the light unless they are in the bed of the truck. So I park it at the end of the lot close to a busy road so hopefully nobody has the ballz to get in the bed and mess with it when soo many people are driving by.
  15. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I am 20, and some of my friends are high schoolers and they always want to flip the switch for my lights and mess with things. I put an alarm on my truck and set my shock sensor low enough so if someone drops the tailgate or jumps in the bed; the alarm goes off. I am also thinking of mounting my lightbar permently to the backrack, the issue is that it will be too high and I will not be able to fit my truck through a car wash(which has become a weekly ritual, especially in the winter).
  16. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

My friends wouldn't dare think of touching my switches. Plus there kinda hidden but it's called respect, your friends shoudn't be playin with **** that aint theres unless you allow it.
  17. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

im confused

money is tight so you cant buy a backrack and permanently mount the light for $215, but your buying a new 2500 which will set you back atleast $30,000 which is over $215 /month in payments
  18. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

hey you watch, one of them immature old farts that I work with that play grab a$$ all night will be trying to thieve my light ya know. While we're on the subject, any body know if its possible to get a 2 year old to push a mower? And if I turn a 10 year old loose in a parking lot with one of my plows, he doesn't need a license does he? Can he lease his own? :rolleyes: :nod:
  19. motorider000

The reason that i don;t want to spend $$$ on this truck is all for the fact of getting the new truck. Yes it will be a 3/year lease and i am selling my other truck ($8000) to start me out on the payments. Hopefully in a couple months all this truck will be used for is a work truck and then it will be sitting at my shop when its not used. Then just my chums will be driving it to jobs so i don;t want to put any $$$ into it.
  20. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

That's leasing I assume? $30,000 is a lot more than $215 a month... Remind me to set up my next auto loan through you. payup