1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

watch out for those deer

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bmorwood, Dec 26, 2006.

1. bmorwood

bmorwood Junior Member

this is what happens when you swerve to avoid a deer at 30mph and hit the ditch.
    they say it is fixable. It will probably snow before its ready. When its fixed, I will post more pics with the plow attached

accident and snowmobile012.jpg

accident and snowmobile008.jpg

accident and snowmobile010.jpg
  2. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Yoiks! Maybe hitting the dear would have been a better choice???

Glad it wasn't a moose!

Sorry for the messed up truck though. As one dearly departed friend used to say 'if someone made it, someone else can fix it' - so hope it's not tied up too long in the shop.
  3. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

To Bad U Didnt Have The Plow On, Then U Definatley Could Have Hit The Deere Instead.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

is your insurance going to cover it? that' doesn't look like a cheap fix.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

my wife and i just had this conversation on the way home in the rain and dark last night. she told me to keep my eyes peeled for deer so i can have enough time to swerve if one pops out. i told her im not going to swerve i would rather hit the brakes and nail the deer but i will not swerve, she looked at me like i was a martian! i had to explain about how soft a deer is compared to a tree are house or ditch lol.
  6. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Never swerve, always hit the deer.

That looks real bad...
  7. bmorwood

bmorwood Junior Member

It could always be worse

The insurance will fix it. My son was driving it at the time and learned his lesson. But for all of us who think hitting a deer is better go to

just be warned. It is not for the faint of heart. Unfortunately my son saw this before he met the deer in the road. I think you will all understand.
  8. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE WERE SOME HARD CORE PICS!!!!!!!!!! that makes your truck look beautiful. lol. sorry about your wreck though. hope it gets fixed real fast. best of luck
  9. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm a police officer in a relatively rural NJ township and have dealt with more car/deer accidents than I can count, but that outcome, although possible, is very rare. We have about 100 car/deer accidents a year, and we have them on side streets and 50+ mph roadways, and I've only seen 1 like that in the last 5 years.

For most drivers, myself included, when a deer enters the roadway, their first instinct is to swerve to avoid the deer. However most people end up swerving towards the deer (i.e if the deer enters from the right, they swerve to the left to get away from it) and hit it anyway. I know it sounds crazy, but in most cases....hit the brakes and keep the wheel straight. If you miss the deer, good for you. If not, its almost always better to hit the deer because it'll do less than damage, then say a ditch, a pole, a concrete wall, etc.

Over past few years, we've had quite a few accidents where hitting the deer instead of swerving would've been better.

Just my .02

BTW...glad to hear no one was hurt
  10. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Yuk! But yes, a friend of mine hit one on I 95 in Philadelphia PA and it went thru the windshield of their Lumina and ended up dying in the back seat! Needless to say the car was declared a total loss, but we shudder to think of what could have been if she had swerved on that 3 lane interstate at 55 mph! At least this time it was just the deer and the car, she survived simply badly shaken for the experience, but she did hold it straight and just braked and there were no 2nd collisions.

It's a tough call, and we only have a fraction of a second to decide... but glad he's OK, and the truck can be repaired!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  11. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

man I dont care how much detailing that car had after, with the ammount of blood in there, there has to be some lingering smell of decomp in there somewhere...... car woulda been sold/scrapped asap
  12. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

That sticks, one of my friends that was up for collage swerved to miss a deer and rolled his truck over, it was totaled. I've hit three and never damaged the trucks yet. When I'm in my plow truck I won't move or slow down, they won't hurt it and I could use the meat. Last one I hit flew about 10-15 feet off the the road and didn't even knock the dirt off the plow mount.:gunsfiring: get um'