1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wasted money!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vmj, Jan 18, 2009.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Bought a pair of the pro wings for my fisher. The rubber kept folding back...., So i bought the poly edges for it. WHAT a wast of $300 for this hole set up... Took them wright off,not worth plowing with....
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Besides not knowing how to spell, you're doing something wrong.
    Been plowing with wings since 1993 on lord knows how many trucks and plow setups and it makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in time saved.
  3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Spelling was never my ------ I stayed away from edges and they still bent... Still left a winrow when i pushed a straight run, seams like their not angled enough. and then when plowing along edge of lot does not clean up and leaves snow behind? Don't know what i can be doing wrong other then my SPELLING...

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Can you show us a picture of them mounted setting flat on the ground?
    Maybe a side shot/front shot and a couple of the mounts.
  5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

like my spelling i'm not good with this computer..............
  6. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

sounds like your plowing with them, expecting a push box. long straight push and don't loose any snow.... they don't work like that, they are better then a bare blade, and stop some from falling off, but don't hold every bit in, if ya overload the blade, snow will still fall out past them
  7. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I would give it a second chance. Post some pics. I put wings on my plow last year and I was sold on the first lot I used them on. Well worth the money to me.

8. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

If your not sure how to post pics email them to me and I will post them for you.

9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

plow was on angle and only running the plow through half of the row,that why it seams too me that their not angled enough..
  10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks, if i can figure out how to get them from my camara to the computer..LOL
  11. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I have never run them. I have seen them run in a parking lot, seem to work very good there.95% of my driveways are gravel, some a bit narrow. Banks get pretty high and hard. For you guys that run them. Do they work good for an application like mine? Or are they more for a parking lot? Don't mean to hijack the post but just curious.

If your camera has a USB cord just plug it in to one of the USB ports. Then look under my computer. Once there you should be able to attach it to an e mail. Or host them on Photo bucket or a similar site. Then posting them here is just copy and paste!
  12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

VMJ Don't worry about the spelling as much as the punctuation. We can figure out what you are saying with the bad spelling usually, but when some, not all, guys run all the sentences together without periods, commas or capitol letters, it makes it very hard to figure out what they are trying to say. They may be saying several things in one sentence and depending where we put the punctuation, it could change the meaning. It's much easier to go on to the next post. It's too bad because if I spend enough time trying to figure it out, there is some really good information there. Usually this is because we are all typing so fast to get the information out, that we goof up. God knows that I do my share of it.
  13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Pro wings won't cut curbs or edges clean. Sometimes I'd take one off and leave it off if I had alot of curbs to do. Otherwise jump out and take off and put on as needed.

Overall they are pretty handy but not the best product ever made. We typically don't run them unless there is 3" or more. They can affect your back dragging abilities and as your cytting edge wears the rubber doesn't wear the same, taking pressure off the cutting edge.
  14. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

First year with pro wings

Best time saver i ever bought. I only do one lot with them, take them off, then 60 driveways and they are worth it.
  15. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

never used pro wings and never will but I guys that do and they seem to work....though there is a guy around here and his are beat right the F**k up. I personally dont see why guys just dont buy the wings that are made for there plow....My Boss wings kick ass and are soooo heavy duty. They go on and off in under 30 seconds each. takes longer to put them in the bed of my pickup then to take them off! And from what I've seen in pics and vids the western and fisher custom wings looks sweet and well built. Just my 2 cents
  16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Until just the last few years, the factory did not make wings for their plows.
  17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I run them on my 8.5 poly and I now have a 10' 5 blade with them on. I plow a couple 2 acre lots and they knock off about 30 minutes off each one. Best investment ever. Got them barely used for $100 from a guy that changed all of his blades and did not need them. They carry a good amount of snow and if you have the rubber set up right next to the balde you wont leave a trail. And make sure you put markers on them so you know where they are by the curb.try them again and I know you will love them.
  18. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I know, thats when I finally bought some :D
  19. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have a better idea... How much do you want for them?
  20. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Well the problem is that yes fisher and western make their own wings...BUT the Fisher wings are ONLY made to fit the new Xtreme V-plows and do not fit ANY other fisher blade without some sort of custom fabrication. Western wings are basically the same way they are ONLY made to fit the Contractor Pro-plus straight Blades and the MVP-Plus blades.

As for BOSS, yes they were able to make wings that will bolt up to any plow in their whole straight blade and V-plow lineup, with the exception of the XT-V plow.

So not everybody is lucky like you and can buy nice heavy duty wings for their plows.

Finally to respond to the OP...Im not sure if you have a welder handy or know anyone who can do it for you, but with some reinforcing on the backside of the wings they do hold up alittle better against bending. As for the rubber maybe you can try to put some steel around the top of the rubber, I'll find the link for you with some pictures of what another member did to make his wings better on his fisher.