1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washington DC Bidding Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by AGI, Oct 3, 2011.

1. AGI

AGI Junior Member

Bidding on a commercial lot in DC. Lot is about 175,000 sq. feet which is about 4 acres with a few islands and posts.

My estimates so far:

$95/hr plowing
    2 tons salt - (this is where I am having trouble with a rate) - I'm thinking in the $1000/ton range or .$50/lb. This seems high, yes, but we are in DC and there are other factors such as getting in and out of a job. As a sub 2 years ago, I spend 6 hours getting from one job to the next.

Thanks for your help everyone.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think your salt price is way too much. 4 acres should be just under 2 tons of salt. But even if you need to pay 100 bucks a ton (cost) thats only about 250 bucks in salt. I have no idea what trucks go for down there but when we went down a couple years ago to haul snow, I know some loaders weren't getting much more than that. I'm thinking somewhere in the ballpark of 500-600ish

3. AGI

AGI Junior Member

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I was (unfortunately) leaning towards your thinking as well . . . the numbers didn't make sense to me on paper and wanted to confirm. Thanks again.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yep no problem.