1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washing your truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy05, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

Does anybody here use anything special to make there truck nice clean and shine? Has anyone tried that new Mr.clean..auto dry thing? hows it work?
  2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I have the Mr. Clean car wash thingamajig. It does work, and pretty well at that. But it doesn't have much pressure (could be due to hose pressure) and takes much longer then I thought it would. I still will use it in the summer when I have the time. Otherwise, I go the self serv car wash and wash it down real good there then when I pull out I hand dry it myself. I usually throw 2 coats of wax (NuFinish wax) on a year, one in the winter one in the summer. My truck is 5 years old and still looks glossy & new.
    He's a link to a thread back a month ago or so after putting on my winter coat of wax in the shop. I normally would do it earlier, but too busy this year.

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

does it hurt to wax a car more than once a month. I used to wax my dakota once or even twice a month, before I sold it I waxed it again and it always seemed like the litle round thing got red (paint is red), is that bad?

Im just asking because I think apperance says alot about you and your company. And when I get my new truck (2500hd hopefully) I'll be washing it every few days and waxing it once a month, would waxing it once a month be bad for the paint?
  4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Best bet is to wash with a little soap (about a quarter size pool of dish soap in a 5 gal pail) a clean wash mitt and lots of clear water (under pressure if possible) Dry with a synthetic chamois (cheaper and easier to wring by hand than real ones)

You should wax at least twice a year, but can do so more often, BUT be careful what you wax with. We use pure carnuba paste with no grit or cleaners. Hand applied, and hand removed with a soft bath towel. A lot of the synthetic waxes have a small amount of polish in them that can harm the paint. For the past 10 years or so paints have migrated to a semi-gloss color coat with a clear top-coat. There isn't a lot to the clear layer, so care must be used with abrasives, polishes, and machines. (too much hot water from a pressure washer can remove the top coat too).

Remember to apply a THIN layer of the wax. More is not better here.
  5. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

dish soap takes off the wax dont do it dont listen to this guy .use megurais sope it has alot of sudsing and the pros use it detailing and it never hurts too have a couple of coats of wax on your truck
  6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Any soap will remove some of the wax, depends which wax you applied, how recently, what the environment is, etc. The wax layer is measured in angstroms, fractions of the width of notebook paper. I'm not sure that was the point here.

Feel free to buy whatever carwash product you like. The main difference between dish soap and the litany of car washing soaps has to do with water softening agents (and price). The whole point of soap is to emulsify the dirt to float it off the surface so you can flush it away with water.

Most pros typically use a high-suds, high alkalai formula that works well in a 2-3% emulsion from a pressure washer. A pro detailer is looking to remove all the wax and surface impurities before the final treatment is applied. A lot of shops, including ours, use softened water too. Most don't have that luxury.