1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washing your plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rock&snow, Feb 7, 2008.

1. rock&snow

rock&snow Junior Member

How many of you guys wash your plow during the season? Saw 2 plows being washed the other day and wondered how water did not get into their hydraulic system and freeze up?:dizzy:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If fluid is not coming our of the plow.
    water should not be going in.

Just don't try to spray hight psi water right at the seals on the rams and you will be just fine.
    There designed to keep the fluid in and watter out.

It is ok to use a power washer just keep the nozzle a couple of feet away from the seals on the rams.
  3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Everytime I go out I wash it when I come back providing the temp. allows me to. I don't spray up and under.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I wash it after every plowing event, once the weather allows me too. Like to keep it looking nice and then I spray all the steel down with wd40 and tuck her away in the shop till the next one. Some guys let them go to crap and have them on all the time, but that is a whole other issue there leaving the plow on all season...
  5. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Besides, you should clean it and give it the once over after every storm.
  6. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

It's not much different than driving around in rain, it's gonna get wet IMO. If your concerned about your pump, stay away from it but the rest of the plow would greatly appreciate the salt being removed. Depending upon the temps, I always spray mine off with the rest of the rig soon after the storm has passed. Plows aren't cheap and anything I can do to extend it's useful life helps my investment. JMO.
  7. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I too wash after every storm, sometimes at the carwash with the hi pressure soap. The truck and plows stay in the garage so I don't have to worry about freezing things up.

I do miss summer though...[​IMG]
  8. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Those your girls??:rolleyes:
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you think he would put pictures up of his girls washing his truck on here. Those are one of them cheerleader teams trying to make some money for the upcoming season out running around in there tiny bikinis.
  10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I would go to that fund raiser. Sorry back on topic. I wash my truck.plow after every storm. You see guys driving around in junk. I don't want to be one of them. Cheap insurance IMO
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I wash mine down after every storm and give it a good scrub when it's warm out.
  12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

this is who i use
  13. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Would you guys suggest just like washing off the main part of the blade after using it?
  14. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

What were they using to wash it? A firetruck? :confused: :dizzy:
  15. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Can I contract her for a week? She would look pretty HOT leaning up against my camaro! :cool:
  16. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

She'd be pretty COLD leaning up against your camaro this time of year. Stick to washing your plow and stop drooling:nod:
  17. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i think we need a picture of her leaning up on a snoway plow truck :nod:

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I wash the truck and plow down after each outing, weather permitting. I go to a do-it-yourself car wash...5 bucks and a clean rig...! :)

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It so nice having a heated shop, every time I go out, the truck and plow go inside and get washed down throughly. Heated water and everything. I let the truck thaw out for about a hour and then I wash her down.
  20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll lean against your Camaro and she can learn against me!

As for the plow being washed when it rains.:D