1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

washing under the hood

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jlb2500hd, Feb 22, 2006.

1. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

I have an 04 2500 hd, i was wondering if it is safe to spray under the hood with a garden hose to clean off any salt or sand. Will it damage any electrical components?

2. J29

J29 Senior Member

I was always told to never spray any water under the hood, especially if the engine isn't completely cold. Where I go to wash my truck, I see people with the hood up and car running, spraying away on the engine. I just can't think that is any good for the electrical components or air intake. I'm sure you didn't mean washing it like that and I know when it rains, it gets wet under the hood. I guess if you really wanted to, I would make sure the engine was cold and that you avoided the fuel lines the best you could since metal doesn't usually like sudden temp changes. And make sure you don't get any in the air filter/intake area. Just my opinion, I am by far no expert. Hope it helped. J.

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Once in a while I wil spray the hose in the engine compartment. I always make sure the engine is running, and try not to hit any electrical components. I figure if the engine is running, and I do hit the alt or battery, it will be less likely to screw them up. But boy do those manifolds steam.:nod:

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Just cover the electrical components with something and watch out with the cold water on that block! :eek:

5. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I use one of those siphon things off a line from my air compressor and take suction from a small pitcher of water. I believe they're called "engine washers" and they run about $20. It has a long metal wand with a lever activated spray tip that lets me put the water exactly where I want it without any overspray. I think I got mine from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool

Pete

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a degreaser and wash the engine when it's not running. Then I use pressurized air to dry it off before I start it.

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

My dad and I have used powerwashers on engines for years with no problems. I usually spray it down with Simple Green first.....

Good or bad no problems here.....

Derek

8. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

The best way to clean an engine bay is this:

1. If you have a compressor blow off all of the surfaces that you can with air.

2. Cover all electrical components (Alternator, Cap/Rotor, Wiring Harnesses etc.) with Aluminum Foil.

3. Get a good engine degreaser or all purpose cleaner (APC) I recommend Poorboys Biodegradeable APC diluted about 15:1 water to APC.
    Spray the entire engine compartment, let it sit for about 3 minutes.

4. Scrub all surfaces that you can with a brush or a use a sponge/ wet towel.

5. Rinse off the APC being extremely care full around electrical components.

6. Start the engine and continue rinsing.

7. Close the hood and let it run. This will evaporate any water left under the hood.

Jason

9. What i do

This is what I do:

Buy a GREAT degreaser and soak the engine doing my BEST to avoid the alternator AND DISTRIBUTER.

START THE TRUCK!!!!!!!!

Then was off under the hood and again do the best to avoid the alternator and the battery... I have been wasing off under the hoods of my trucks since i bought them...never any problems as long as i leave it running...the one time i did it without it running, the distributer got wet and the truck wouldnt start for a couple of hours.

TRUST ME- The truck will be fine! If you ever hit puddles on the road the engine gets SOAKED. THink about it. IF you have ever driven down a very wet dirt road and a somewhat muddy trial, when you done there is dirt all over inside the hood!!!!!!

10. pic

THis is what the under of my hood looks like!

trynow.jpg

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Same here... no problems here ether.
    Just stay way from the distributor, it can get wet but don't spray it with the pressure washer.

Your engine bay can get wet.:nod:
    It does not matter if it is hot or cold, you can spray water on it with out hurting it at all.

you get it wet every time you drive in the rain.

After I'm done plowing my route, I drive to the car wash and wash the whole truck. Pop the hood on that HOT motor and spray off the engine!!. I have been doing this for 28yrs, with only occasionally getting some water in the distributor (on a old 74 dodge, just remove and dry out with a rag and replace). other wise no problems at all..

If you use a degreaser, the reason they want you to only spray it on a cold engine is that the cleaner will dry or evaporate before it can work or before you can wash it off.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I wash under my hood everytime I wash the truck. I have done this to every vehicle I have owned with no problems. Avoid srpaying directly at electrical connections and it will be fine.

13. schnitz

schnitz Member

We drive Chevy or GMC. Why bother to open the hood aside from the 3,00 mile oil change....:rolleyes:

Just funnin' you all. I have struggled with cleaning the underside of mine, and found some good tips here, especially using compressed air first. Why let the dust and bits of dirt settle into the low spots as it dries? Right?

In a while, Chet.

14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

As for washing the underside I have used a lawn sprinkler before.....the kind that ocsillates back and forth in a fan shape......seems to do the job. I also go to the atuo wash that has undercarriage washing.....

D