1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washing truck in the cold

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Feb 12, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Hi all! When I am done plowing or salting or both, I like to wash my truck, because when I sell my plow I want t to look brand new and I want my truck looking nice. So I was wonderingif there is any thing I can spray on it (besides anti-freeze) so the truck dosent turn into a giant ice rink and my doors don't freeze shut. So what can I do or use

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I wash mine after every event as well. Good news for me is I drive it 1/2 a block down the street and park them in my heated shop, so I don't have to worry about freezing. As far as I know thats about the only way to keep it from freezing up. I do spray the underside of the trucks, as well as the entire plow, and all brackets, and the salt spreaders with Fluid Film once a month to keep it all from rusting.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

usually i just let it sit in the bay for a hour and let it try on its own, but the good news is i do the snow for the car wash i use so they let me get away with letting it sit.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

x2

I am lucky to have a self wash a block away from my heated garage.

Before I built the garage tho I would only wash the salter and underside after plowing. Then I would just wait for it to get 32* or above and gave it a full wash then.

Make sure you keep your rubber gaskets clean and oiled/armor all. Use Fluid Film on the door locks ,hinges and anything else that moves. Keep everything over greased with a dab of grease left on the zerk fittings to protect the inlet of the zerk.

Above all try not to get the electronics wet when cold out.

5. LTLANDSCAPING

LTLANDSCAPING Member

Heated garage! I am jealous. I have a garage, attached to my house but the door is too short for the truck to fit :-( I was it when it gets above freezing and after the roads have dried up, my truck gets dirtier from the slush on the roads the day after a storm then from the day I went plowing.

6. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Yeah All i can say is......No to after every storm.
    But i know last week it was like what 35-40* and the sun was out!
    Then this storm came and now they're dirty again!
    (its gonna be like 30* today so im not washin' them!)

7. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

I have a nice heated and well lighted fire house to wash up in. Some times tho its a little warm in there so I haave to take off my sweatshirt, oh and they supply the soap.

8. ajslands

Does it have a pole? I would buy that house any day

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I've been washing trucks (semi s, Crete trucks, Tow trucks, pickup trucks) in the freezing temperatures for as long as I can remember. Rinse with hot water and drive it immediately there after, it will keep icing to a minimum.

If you wash it at home, you can setup your own hot water tap for the spigot. Simply run a hot line to the pipe before it goes out, then T the cold and hot together using valves on either side. You can then select hot, cold, or a mix. I find it useful year round really.

10. ajslands

I was told thAt putting hot water on will make it freeze faster becuz the molecules are closer together. Donou if this is true

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I don't know about all of that, but I can tell you from experince it works alot better then cold water. I've never had an issue with my doors freezing up. In fact, hotter the better. It almost completley evaporates on contact.

The other thing you can do is use a terry cloth to wipe down your door jams after. I do this when ever I go to the car wash place and it's really cold out.

12. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I just wash mine at the self wash, normally the one about a km around the corner from my house then park it... I always make sure I leave the heater controls on, plus have a remote start and keyless entry. I always warm the truck up with the remote start, and have never had issues getting into the truck...

matthew

13. ajslands

I like that idea, dosent seem like to hard of a task.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Who is footing the bill for the building, heat, lights, water, soap?

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The cure for this is exactly the same as the fix for holidays on your wash job.....

16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

get a tube of the lock antifreeze. this stuff works alot better as a preventative than as a cure. I hope this helps.

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You should pay more attention while you're in chemistry class, and stop staring at the cute blonde in the front row....:dizzy:

As the temperature rises, so does the energy in the molecules in whatever we're talking about. The higher energy molecules have increased rate and amplitude, therefore spread themselves out due to intermolecular forces. This is why things expand when hot.

I wash with warm/hot water and drive it around a bit to dry it off. Keeping the door seals and locks well-lubricated also helps prevent freezing.

18. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, he's correct. Sort of. Water that has been heated, than cooled to specific point, will freeze faster than water at that point that has not been heated.

20. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

I dont wash them at home in the winter i dont like my driveway as slick as a frickken ice-rink :nono:

Unless the truck is really dirty or you're about to go somewhere nice (lol idk) just wait til that one day the temp rises a lil bit and the sun comes out!