1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washing Salt Trucks

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by KMBertog, Dec 17, 2010.

1. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Finished up another salt run early a.m. today here in Chicagoland.

Since we don't have snow in the immediate forecast :angry: we are washing out the dump beds and the trucks themselves.

Bring them inside to dry em up and all good to go!

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

nice trucks...glad to see your getting to put them to use already. we havnt had any snow yet here
  3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Love the fleet. The HD to carry the weight. The 3500 for the 4x4.

Thats what I hope to have in the next year or so. My lawn crew is equipped pretty well, time to start growing the snow equipment.
  4. KMBertog

??? None of the trucks are 4x4... Do you mean the "dually" setup?
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had the pleasure of doing that yesterday.....not fun but needed to do it. I found I needed to do it more often, we've been out salting for a couple weeks straight and the build up was a bit more than I thought. I bet I took 2-3, 5 gallon buckets of frozen, hard salt out from around the rear conveyor chain.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I like the idea of the 2 sea containers with the "roof" in between them... what do you store in the containers and then in between them?
  7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yes, definitely not one of the more fun jobs to do, but yet it has to get done. Upkeep is key in this business.
  8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

looks good KM, do you guys use hot water to clean them? also might wanna salt that little area before i come figure skate on it tonight lol
  9. KMBertog

Thanks Boss

Yes, hot water pressure washer... Cold water would be a little :eek:

Hey, I figure we can get a hockey game going out back later on tonight! :nod:
  10. KMBertog

pallets of bagged calcium chloride go inbetween the two containers.

Inside the one container is fertilizers/grass seed etc... The other has small machines/tools, etc.
  11. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

Nice work. I hotsy everything after every storm. It's a pain and takes pretty much a whole day, but totally worth it.
  12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

lol I like the apron!:drinkup:
  13. KMBertog

Thanks Colin

Helps keep the salt and goo from wrecking clothes. I guess whatever works, right? :nod:
  14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

lol not as bad as my dad when he pressure washes he takes a garbage bag and cuts 2 arm holes and a head hole and wears it lol!
  15. KMBertog

got any pics?! :laughing:
  16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Its not a bad idea to make a quick rain coat!
  17. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

When I commented I had only seen the one HD and the one 4x4. Unless you've converted your HD, they never came from the factory ad a 4x4.
  18. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Now I see, the standard 3500 isn't 4x4. Sorry, its kinda difficult from my phone.
  19. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We wash every truck, every storm. So many potential problems are avoided with a 10 minute wash. Our guys wear rain suits when they wash the trucks....
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  20. KMBertog

I wish we had the time to do every truck, every storm... We try to keep everything as clean as possible... Usually rotate a group of trucks each storm that get washed afterwards.