1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washing out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MSC, Jan 31, 2004.

1. MSC

MSC Member

How many of you folks take your plows off and spreaders out after every storm and power wash the entire truck?
    People around here say that I am a little crazy about this.
    I take the spreader out, hose it down, re-oil the chains, grease all fittings.
    I take the plows off, hose them down.
    Then power wash the trucks from top to bottom.
    When the first heavy rain storm hits, I drive them in an effort to maybe wash some more of the salt off the chassis that you cant really clean well with the power washer.

Just looking for some input on how you guys clean your trucks out.
    Rich

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I consider washing a truck part preventative maintence. I leave my plow on and wash it when i wash my truck. while i dont wash it after every storm, I try to about every other storm. But usually it all depends on the weather. It has been colder than usual here, with a high of around 10 the idea of freezing my berries off at a spray and wash just doesnt seem like much fun. :D :D

3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

If it is above freezing temp....then Im on it :D If it below freezing then no-way :nono:

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I agree with Kipcom. Anytime the weather is permitting, I clean ALL my equipment. Just makes sense to keep up on maintenance.:waving:

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

My plow comes off as soon as i finish plowing. i like the truck to have as little signs as possible that i use it to plow. I take the truck to the carwash when its above freezing but no plows are allowed at carwashes (the ones i go to anyway). Iam not interested in my driveway and my street becoming a skating rink because i had to wash the truck when it was 35 degrees. My plow is stored in the garage year round i usually wash it the first real nice day in march (like when it gets to 60), but theres usually another plowable event at the end of march early april. So i wash it again in the middle-end of April then put in in its "summer spot" in the garage at the beginning of may.

6. DodgePlower

DodgePlower Junior Member

Rich. i believe that washing a truck after plowing is the most important part of taking care of a plow truck. After putting the second body on my '88 dodge, i am very particular about washing it. One of my buddies works at a Freightliner dealership, there they have one bay that is designated for washing trucks with their steam cleaner. after a storm i cal him up, driver over, spray it down with nice hot soapy water, then a rinse and she looks beautiful.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have even been seen to wet sand the plow, rub it out and wax it. Wax on the truck helps to keep the salt from destroying the paint too.

8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We leave everything on the trucks and wash it all after every storm.

We wax the trucks monthly (we are after all in the detailing business) and use salt neutralizer too.