1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washing a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Feb 10, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I've had some people recommend washing the salt off a plow in one of those do-it-yourself car washes. I wonder about spraying high pressure water all over a plow though. Do I run the risk of getting water in the hydraulic fluid or electrical connections? Should I just leave the plow dirty and not risk any damage?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I pressure wash my plows off after every snow fall. It gets all the salt off them, and prevents rust. Just do't spray at close range at any electrical parts, or pump. Spraying 18" away or so won't hurt it. Water should not get in if the seals are in good shape.
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

thats the first thing i do when finished plowing or salting .i go to the ol car wash an rinse my equipment off.keeps it clean an keeps the salt off,which is a must !!
  4. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I wash my rig down on the way home from my route. Just be sure not to spray the seals real close up! As far as electrical connections, if they sealed up properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Just use your common sense.

6. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Absolutly clean it off after each use. I take a soft brissle brush to go around the pump fittings so not to damage anything, as well as take a stiff brush to the plow and frame. My rig is 5 years old, and still looks brand new with no rust. :waving:
  7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Same here. I've never had a problem with water damaging anything. Just don't spray at a close range like Grshppr said.
  8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Take it a step further....use the soft bristle brush there to scrub every inch you can.
    It takes me a couple of minustes more, but I find just with the gun there is still some salt left on the plow, sure there will always be some, but the brush helps even more.
    The car washes around here usually take their brushes down because they tend to freeze, so I carry one with me. Bought it at the local hardware store in the auto section, and put a 4 ft. handle on it....works great.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

We wash all of our plows down after each storm,never have a problem.

After washing is a good time to check for damage,cracked welds,leaks etc,as you can see everything.

Spray everything down with WD-40 or Fluid Film,like bolts,pivot points,fittings,chain,carbide etc,and stick some grease around the center pivot area.DO NOT get it on the front of the moldboard,as the snow will stick to it and build up on the front of the plow all the time.

If you want to get real fancy you can evn wax the moldboard,so the snow rolls better.
  10. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i pretty much do the same as wyldman stated
  11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I wash it ocassionally and sometimes put a light coat of wax on it to give a more slippry surface.

12. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I don't ever really wash my plow... It is already rusted over. Was when i bought it. Paint is long gone. Prolly oughta sand her down and repaint.
  13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to know if nsmilligan washes his plow after every event:D Did you see his pictures!good god man,that thing looks like a dozer blade:eek: ,I have painted a lot of plows and have seen paint fade,maybe crack a little but have NEVER seen paint wear off the entire blade in one season like his,you can see bare metal!That poor guy must plow in his sleep!I guess thats what it's all about aye ns,gettin the most out of her!BTW,i'm just messin with old nsmilligan here,that plow has probably got more miles on it than most of our trucks:p
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Early Fisher/Western Vs and straight plows of that age had a paint failure problem. The powder coating will fll off in big pieces. There were some warranties on them. While Nsmilligan does plow a lot I would bet some wear is due to that process.
  15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

CT,i to heard about those same paint problems although ns stated he sandblasted the blade this year before painting!
    I'd like to see the look on the dealers face when that thing rolls in for warranty work:eek:
  16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I missed that about the painting. I too have sandblasted them (pain in the butt) but allows for the best paint. Still paint will only last for a couple of years. I try to touch it up every year.
  17. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

you gotta love those poly plows:p