1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washboard plowed surface, help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigred85, Dec 17, 2004.

1. bigred85

bigred85 Junior Member
    from Canada

Hi guys. I tried out my Moose 60" straight blade on my ATV yesterday and it went great! However, after closer inspection of my plowed driveway, I get what can best be described as a "washboard surface". There seems to be a washboard surface in a short, rhythmic pattern, like every six inches or so. It's almost like the plow is bouncing up and down. Do you plow experts know what could possibly be causing this to happen, and how to fix it? Thanks a lot!

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Its likely that its just real lite and is bouncing. Also you can drive a little slower and that will help.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You could also see if you could add 10 or 20 lbs of weight to it too and see if that stops it.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yep, too light and too fast. See it around here all the time.

5. bigred85

bigred85 Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. The thing is, Moose plows are by far the sturdiest and heaviest ATV plows on the market. I have seen cheaper, lighter plows with perfectly smooth results.

Come to think of it, I was going pretty fast after I got used to driving with the plow. It's hard not to go fast when plowing with an ATV. I'll try to take it slower next time and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Put a heavy cutting edge on your Moose plow. This will do two things. The edge will last longer before getting into the frog, and also it will add a bunch of weight to the plow right where you need it. When I say heavy, I mean twice the steel thickness as stock, twice as tall so that you have more surface to wear, and also make this out of AR (abrasion resistant) steel. Good Luck.

7. bigred85

bigred85 Junior Member
    from Canada

Is there a place where I can buy such a cutting edge or do I have to build it myself? Thanks for the tip.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Take two weights (the kind from a weight bench, about 20lbs each) and chain them together with about 4 inches between them. Make two sets and just "hang" them over each end of the plow. Quick, easy, and CHEAP ! :D

9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

80 lbs is a bit much especaily when a lot less may do it to.

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Thats alot of weight to be hangin off of the front of your quad. They arent made to have all of the weight up there...Rob

11. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Be sure not to go too fast. You can be thrown from the machine at high speeds when you hit something. It can be fatal.

I'd only go about 5 mph for a top speed on it.

Sincerely,
    Jake

12. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

we use kawi prarie 650's to plow, they all have cycle countrys on em and that washboard effect only happens when your going to fast or if your quad is lifted by adding bigger tires and such that will do it to. It changes the angle of attack. Go slow!

13. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Slow down and plow in a different direction next time. If you angle the other way or push in a different direction it will help get rid of the washboards that are already there. I learned that on this site last year. A couple of roads I was plowing were getting very wash-boarded. Making a pass down the wrong side of the road angled the other direction eliminated them all.

14. bigred85

bigred85 Junior Member
    from Canada

So if I plow in the same direction, but starting from the opposite side with my blade angled the other way, it should eliminate some of the washboard effect? Thanks, I'll try that next time...

15. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Yes and good luck..