1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Washboard noise when turning

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by danmc, Jan 3, 2005.

1. danmc

danmc Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer AWD. About a week ago it started making a washboard type sound when making a right hand turn after coming to a stop. There is also a slight vibration when the noise occurs. It only lasts until the turn is complete and it never happens any other time (such as making left hand turns). The sound originated at the driver's side front tire but now it sounds like it is coming from the rear as well. Are there specific things I should look at? I want to get a rough idea before I take it to the shop. Also, I've had this car for 3 years and this is the first time this problem has happened.
    Thanks in advance for any help/insight,
    Dan

2. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

I have a Lincoln Navigator,doing the same thing.It only happens when truck is warm/////???????????????????????????????????????????

3. ak_fleming

ak_fleming Junior Member

Sounds like the CV joints to me. Might want to check to make sure your CV boots didn't crack and lose all the grease before the joints get too worn.

4. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Most likely it is coming from the rear axle. You will probably be told when you take it into the shop that it is the rear clutch packs that are worn out. You should be getting what is most likely a chattering feeling from the truck when turning. Good luck and let us know what it is after you take it in.

5. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Thanks for the tip,but the noise is coming from the front end,truck runs good really no problem,but I don't like that noise.

6. MOW ME OVER

Now is it a noise or a feeling that you are getting. If it is a noise when turning and nothing that you feel in the seat of your pants then it might be in the high pressure power steering line.

7. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

When making a turn I here whaa whaa whaa , no good wtf,I feel rubbing too :eek:

8. MOW ME OVER

have you checked the level of the powersteering fluid lately. If it is low then look underneath for any leaks. If you dont see any then take a small knife and poke a hole in the lowest point on the inner tie rod ends, if fluid comes out then the seal or seals are leaking on your rack and pinion. If that is the case it needs a new rack and pinion. Good luck.

9. MOW ME OVER

Hey Snow, scratch what I told you I thought that you were the guy that started this thread. Sorry about not paying attention closely enough. Your problem is that the front clutch packs in the front axle are not working properly.
    If it is still under the 4 year 50,000 mile Lincoln warranty then take it in to the dealer and they will fix it rite up. Ford has come out with revised clutch packs for the front end.

Sorry about that again.