1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wash before?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pete7, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Pete7

Pete7 Member

Am I the only guy that washes his truck before a storm?? My wife thinks I am crazy since I went down after dinner to put on the plow and wash the truck. Silly woman of course it has to be clean, can't go out in a snow storm with a dirty truck:dizzy: :dizzy: :redbounce

2. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

we wash our trucks as soon as all the condos are cleaned and sanded. everything gets grease, all fluids, lights are checked right after the storms.. they dont get much use between storms in the winter. If you wash after it should be pretty clean, unless its a daily driver.

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

I like my truck to be clean I wash before storms so it looks good for the first 30 seconds.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A clean truck's a happy truck.
    Besides you can see out of the windows and use the mirrors easier when it's clean.

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we clean equiptment the day after the storm. if we waited to clean them before the storm they would set dirty for a month or two.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  6. Shortys Beast

Shortys Beast Junior Member

Wash the truck??? What that. My trucks have not left the barn in weeks the only time i wash is when i can`t read my logo, i forgot what work was like.

7. ClaytonR

ClaytonR Member

here in PA

Here in the Philly area they are putting that Brin down on the streets and it turns your truck white fast...why they put it down 24hr before the storm is beyond me...

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They got salt to burn this winter.
    When they pretreat my residential street I know they have all kinds of salt to use.

9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Washed mine today. Will hog it up on Sat and Sun then wash it again.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My truck gets washed every 2-3 days as it is. When it's plowin or spreadin, it gets washed when I wake up from my nap after workin...:sleeping: :sleeping: :waving:

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I wash the trucks right after each storm. Usually by the time the next one rolls around, its not too dirty but its not clean either. My trucks are not that dirty now, we have not had any storms.

12. Pete7

Pete7 Member

I drive my truck every day during the week and wash it about once a week. I always wash it after plowing, maybe a bite to eat or a nap first. But I always wash it before a storm there is something nice about heading out in a shiny truck.
    Have fun tonight,
    Pete

13. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

yea thats silly, dont have you have anything better to do before a storm?!

wash it after, numbnut!!

14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I wash before storms...that helps the chances of snow getting my truck dirty.
    NO PLOW ON though, that helps scare the snow away.

Also, about pre-treating. We do in our town. Use a liquid. Salt brine, costs us about 4 cents a gallon to make. 75 gallons does alot of roads. Cheap insurance, especially in dangerous areas. It does help, I can get a clean scrape down to pavement even when it's snowcovered. Also good to be proactive with snowfalls instead of reactive, especially with tax dollars.

15. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Washing beforehand is a good way to discover any thing that might need attention, so you don't find it out too late (cracked hose, loose fitting, etc.). You all are professional drivers right, and do the equivelant of a pretrip inspection?

16. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I always wash all of my trucks once a week. When there is a storm I wash them all right after the storm. Some people think it is unneccisary, but that's the way I run my business. I don't want a dumpy looking operation. I like things to be in tip-top shape and looking their best at all times. I take pride in the way my equipment looks.

-Thann