1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Was this right of me to do??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Had a guy today- doing snow only about 2 inches but the 30 mph wind was the worst. he shows this morning for a few hours and then had something else to do for a couple hours - which was fine cuz it was so windy here. I am out, everyone else is out and i just figure this guy had his usually customer list to complete so therefore let him go, he'll get it done, I don't need to babysit cuz really he's a pretty decent guy. 7:30p.m. - voice mail - he didn't show cuz he is going away for the weekend and needs time to get stuff ready, get some sleep and won't be around the next 3-4 days. I had one guy out yet who is going to finish his accounts which is a good thing. I called him back a few times but he doesn't answer so I left him a voice mail saying thanks for your time of service, your check will be in the mail and no need to continue working due to lack of ............... I am still brewing about this one.
  2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i don't get it, is this guy one of youre sub's?

with youre truck or his?

if so. are subs plentifull?

did you say or do something offensive to him?(the smallest things will piss-off some people),
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Lack of communication. He wasn't clear. You weren't clear enough. Live and Learn. I wouldn't be worried about your decision.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

I think you handle it just fine. It is not like he didn't know he was going out of town.:dizzy:
    If he is a sub let him go CYA:waving: You will find another no problem.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd have to agree if your communication with him was anything like your communication in this thread.
  6. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

My truck, my equipment, my accounts, my everything. His rear end. Everyone on the crew has a list of what to do, where to do, how, when, where etc. Plain and simple - he didn;t show. I pay well, maybe to well but I will pay top dollar for reliable help. He has always helped, never had a problem, never wrecked anything, no customer complaints -nothing. That is until this evening and I get his voice mail. I don't ride around and watch guys - maybe you guys do, but if I can be productive, get a few accounts done and everyone holds there own, I never have a problem - that is till now. Communication is nothing more that everyone gets a phone call in the morning, night, whatever, usually everyone is at the shop at the same time, everyone has the same customers so there is no questions, they are equiped with the tools and equipment for there accounts and there really isn't an issue - till now. If something breaks, get stuck, can't find a new address etc, everyone has a phone, everyone can also call the office, everyone is assecable.
  7. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

he told him. he left a voice mail. question is what time did he leave the message. other thing is it was windy or whatever so they stopped work. maybe he was planning on having the work done before he left but work stoppage made that impossible. so leaving for a few days wasnt a issue in the beginning but became one as the day progressed and things werent done
  9. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like he has been a good sub for awhile. Why don't you find out why he decided to pull out before blowing up. I know I'm calling the Kettle black here because I'm the same way. You screw my customer or my company and I screw you, but you should hear him out. Maybe he had a family emergency or something, ya never know.
  10. Blues Man

Blues Man Junior Member
    from SE Mich

I work for probably the worst company you can.(Bobcat 10' pro tech bald A@@ tires) 500 spot lot. but if im going away or have something else going on I let them know so they can plan accordingly. Its just what you do for the people giving me a pay check and paying my bills. Common courtesy. JMO
  11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Common courtesy is like common sense these days,rare and elusive.
    Twice,so far, a 3yr full time $20+/hr main dude has missed storms. No deaths in the family. A 2" er, no biggie, last Sat's 10" very bad. Replacement guy managed to drive bobcat down over a retaining wall, luckily the ginourmous snow pile kept the machine at a 45 degree angle w/2 right side in soft snow, then he bent my new $3K bucket trying to get out, $115(cheap) winch bill, 3 hrs lost x 2 men:yow!: Can't fire him till he repays loan and no time to train someone new. 144" YTD:help: Just me venting.
  12. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

See now thats a good reason to be reprimanded
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

he is not a sub,...he was an employee. What is more than that, is if he was planning to go out of town, snow, no snow, wind delay, or 80 degree weather,....he needed to let you know ahead of time (I would say 2 weeks - atLEAST 1 week ahead of time so you can prepere for an event). Regardless, he left you hanging. Even if it was all clear weather forecasted, he should have communicated with you - especially in case a surprise event comes up.
  14. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Oh have I driven this road before!

I will say the employee was in the wrong. I would want to smack the he11 out of him if I could get away with it and not find a jail cell somewhere! Truth be told though it sounds like he has been a great worker for you for multiple years. Good help is VERY hard to find. I have found that I have to go thru 20-25 to find one good one. Yeah, you're pissed and I would be too. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot because you can only see one thing and that he screwed you. Look at all the things that he has done right. Now if he does it again, kick him to the curb. Just my $.02
  15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

fire him. snow is almost over. he gets to go on umemployment since he is a employee. now he is sitting home watching tv and getting paid while your working.
    sounds like your doing him a favor.
  16. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

runner is right should have advance notice and only on weekends when usually less plowing otherwise on call 24/7 that is part of the reason you pay well is the on call part. doctor and dentist ok for weekdays. another 20 to 30 cm fri to sat here and still removing wed 25 cm is winter ever going to be over.