1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Was stacking. Electrical smell in engine bay. Check engine. Lights dim. Engine dies

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by shep28, Feb 4, 2015.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

99ram 2500
    alternator is 5 years old 200AMP
    two batts. newer

Never had this happen. Was stacking. I began to smell an electrical odor(not exactly a burning smell) was electrical though from the engine bay/front of truck. Checked it out. Couldn't pin point it. Check engine light came on. Hooked up basic code reader. No codes. Drove a few more minutes. Car lights began to dim. Parked it. Truck cuts off. Try to restart. Wouldn't start- like weak battery. Checked batt voltage. Voltage was 11.8 on both. Will charge them overnight and see what happens.

Thoughts?

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Try to get you nose somewhere close to the alternator. See if it smells burn or sickly sweet. If it does. Remove it and take to an AutoZone or other parts store and have it checked.

3. shep28

shep28 Member

Smell was somewhat sweet

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Time to give your plow and your battery wiring system a good looking over along with the solenoid.

get the meter out...

5. shep28

shep28 Member

Great. It's 8 degrees outside.......... and will be colder tomorrow. Geeez

I should just stock two of everything.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Don't you have a couple of cold days before the snow?

Not saying it couldn't be the alt but having it happen
    While stacking leads my to a wire rubbing someplace?

Of it was nice out nothing would be wrong....
    Your not alone....

7. shep28

shep28 Member

I was pretty aggressive stacking when it happened. Was in a rush. Will check wires 1st, then will take alt to b tested.

8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

That means the varnish on the windings were getting hot. Time to have it checked.

9. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

Alternator is N.F.G. I bet

10. shep28

shep28 Member

Main wire from alt was toasted. Must have overheated while stacking with blower and lights on. Smelled like burnt marshmallows. Replaced with highest amp advance unit they sell. Used online advance site. Placed order and picked up at store, used 35 percent off online coupon from some website. Saved $55! Ordering this way will save you a fortune.

Replaced outside and nearly froze to death. Works better than before now. Lifts quick.

VERY lucky is didn't break while I was out in a storm in someone's drive in the middle of the night.

11. shep28

shep28 Member

If this occurred white stacking heavy snow and lifting the plow repeatedly to its max height, could the pump be faulty?

12. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Great! Glad you got her fixed.

13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

When the 200 amp alternator was put on was the output wire replaced to handle the higher load? I think stock it only 136 amps.

14. shep28

shep28 Member

I added a welding wire output. The bolt that the wire was attached to literally disintegrated when I removed the alternator. The plastic shield that separates the output wire connector from the alt housing was cracked from heat. It is possible that arcing occurred.

15. shep28

shep28 Member

I added beefy grounds throughout the engine bay.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Cool,
    So everything works now?