1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

was out looking for jobs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bihnsmoked, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

i was out earlier today and i stopped by this autoparts store and asked if they wanted a bid... First he just started going on about how he wouldn't sign a contract and that i would only be paid every 6 months... just wondered what you all think of that and i also was wondering how much u might charge for the lot it is 14000 sf a small dock area that needs backdraged but other than that just a square lot how much per push to salt and plow? any help greatly appreciated

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

No contract? Paid every 6mo's? I personally wouldn't touch that. Who the hell pays every 6 mo's. And no legit business does work without a contract.:nono:

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wouldnt wont to wait 6 months for my money and hes not signing anything then he may say you never worked for him sounds fishy

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Id say goodbye.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I agree. Unless where you live you have year around winters every 6 months is way out of line. Unless you also have the lawn cutting portion and work with him year round. But to say 6 months? That si BS. You would probably end up in small claims court with a guy like that and if he wont sign a contract tells me he has been there before.

Stay away unless is COD before you push the snow.

6. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

thanks thats what i was thinking, it didnt sound right

ya he also told me he only paid about 140 last year per push for plowing and salting does that sound reasonable or is that as low as i thought it was for 14000 sq ft? the only way i figure any1 could do it for that would be to charge just to plow and the cost of how much bulk salt u would use so about $25 for salt and the rest for plow? those are my thoughts does that sound like something people might do? or was he full of it, or did he get a lowballer last year?
    thanks again

7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Ehhhhhh. Figuring most guys x2 their cost for salt applied. Thats 90 for the push.

Id plow 14000 for 90 all day long.

But not for this chump.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  8. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I wouldn't touch it either, unless of course you agree to him paying for the 6 months and get the first six month payment all in advance...(that is assuming you don't have more than 6 months of snow) If you have all the cash up front your golden.. but I would almost bet this guy isn't going to agree to that....Tread carefully grasshopper.

BTW...not enough money either

9. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Dealing with Staulers

Oh I'd take this one on. Heck you're just trying to make a living. Leave your contact info for "Mr. Wonderful" and perhaps set up a price sheet for just such a situation. This sheet would give a fair market price for general "non" contract plow service. This guy sounds like a prime candidate for deal with the crisis when the snow and ice are deep and hard. Your price for cleaning up his disaster will be reflective of Mr. Sunshines attitude in October. The old "on call clause" which will make it worth your time to get to him when and "if" you have the time and equipment available.

People, just what you wanted a lecture when you walked in the door on how this fellow feels about his opinion of dealing with nature. You need to have some shovel shaped business cards made to hand out to these "special potential customers".

Good luck,

George