1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Was missing snow, now blade tripping hard

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Feb 15, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Do you ever miss snow on a hill or arch because of the suspension lift? I was and someone suggested adding a few links on the chains so the plow will hang more when on an arch. I let out two but it was just grazing the ground on this driveway with the arch... so I let out one more link (now 3 total) and it never misses...which is great!

What I am noticing now is that it seems to allow the blade to trip more often even on very little bumps. Like a sidewalk, apron area where there is an inch difference from the two. A few times the blade tripped, it went way forward and seemed like I was going to fold the plow right under the truck and I was not going fast at all. Or does everyone, with or without a suspension lift, experience that big trip of the blade at times?

Any suggestions or similar occurences? I don't want to wreck the plow or truck.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Does the A-Frame sit level with the ground? If not, they you are going to need to lower your plow mount somehow so that it does. That will greatly affect your plow's ability to scrape, and its ease of trip.

One other thing to check is whether the trip springs are tight. You want to be able to slip a piece of paper in between the coils. That's always the trick I used to make sure they have enough preload on them.

3. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I'll try the paper in the spring trick... Thanks for that...

I'm not sure if the A frame is dead on level.... With the plow down in float on flat ground it may be slightly angled because of the lift.... I'll check tomorrow in the daylight...

How would I lower the mount if it's not level?