1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Was I wrong???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BayviewLawn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

2 months ago i qouted 2 parking lots for plowing at an apartment complex.The owner called right away and liked my price but said he hired a guy last year ,payed him and he plowed once and was never seen again.He was worried we would do the same.
    I assured him this was not the case,offered to let him pay in installemts if he felt better.A month goes by with nothing from him.About 3 weeks ago he calls again...same story...he nervous about sending that kinda money after what happened last year.
    i again assured him that he has a legal contract,copys of my insurance binder and that he could pay monthly.
    I hear nothingg from him after that till thanksgiving day.We were due a HUGE storm..we never got it but it was forecasted anyway.
    So he calls thursday morning saying hes gonna send me a check beginning of next week but will i plow if it snows before.

I tell him regretfully our plow routes are full now,we hadnt heard from him in almost a month and we filled our routes and have no room for him now(wich we really dont)
    He goes nuts yellin at me then hangs up in the middle of my explanation that we hadnt heard from him in almost a month and that you cant wait till the day it snows then ask can you mail a check next week.

i almost feel bad..but not real bad......was i wrong to not take the contracts?I truly dont have time for 2 big parkinglots......:confused:
  2. Kosty

Kosty Member

its not ur fault man he waited way to long,
    hey if u want ill do them if u want, Im not booked. Also had a ? for u. but i delated ur email by accident. Where do u get ur insurance threw? and how much is it. Also how dose it work if u put a driver in one of ur trucks?
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Don't feel bad, However, whenever placing bids you should always list an end date for that bid. "This offer is good until **/**/2005" This gives you time to set your routes. I always like to overbid. If I get more than our trucks can handle, I can sub them out to another company or sub...
  4. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Send em' our way!!! One for Kosty one fer me!!!! lol ;)
  5. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Id love to give the lots to yu guys,however he hung up on me and i dont think i should give his number out without his permission.They were kinda bad lots to plow and were off Scio street in the city.Im probly better without them
    Insurance is throught Progressive.Email me if you want details

6. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

JTW where in rochester do you plow?
  7. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Scio st is right around our area.

We be in da ghetto. lol
  8. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

we provide turf care and snow removal for a company that has 80 complexes in our area - this guy is loaded but trust me, many of them act the same way - tight as heck and always paranoid about getting screwed - most of these guys are rich because they look out only for themselves only - you did the right thing.
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Apartments are always such a pain, anyway. You always have to figure into the price x2, because you have to make atLEAST two visits. You clear the runs early, then you have to go back and clear the lot when (most) everybody has gone to work. Also,...there are ALWAYS cars left in the lot no matter WHAT time it is. On top of that, you are entering the "homes" of 300 peole at once. There is ALWAYS someone who "discovers" a scratch in theor car, or a new chip in the windshield, and wants to put it off on who, of course.........
  10. Handyman

Handyman Junior Member

Scio St. I would let it go. Next year send a letter and follow ups. The end date is a good idea, thanks.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

it's souunds like the customer is not use to dealing with a real company. i would not give him a second thought. i would tell him you snooz you loose. you set the rules for your company.
  12. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

With a legal contract detailing the work to be completed, a copy of your insurance policy and paying monthly, this guy had nothing to worry about. It's his fault he waited until a storm was forecast before he would commit. People sometimes don't understand that in order for you to provide good, reliable service you can only take on so much work and once your route is full it's full. Scio St??? Let it go.
  13. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

You did nothing wrong. If you wouldnt of filled, he wouldnt of called and you would be light on your route.
    I was supposed to pave Scio St. this summer we just ran out of good weather. Thankfully.
    We did Upper Falls though.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  14. Kosty

Kosty Member

i put a bid in yesturday on a plaza and the guy strieght out told me, that if i want it hes only going to pay 90 bucks for it and its like a 75 car lot i would think with a drive up atm in the middle of it plus i had to do the rear of it which is half of it i told him it would be 150 under 6" and 200 over 6" i was thinking if i do it alone it would take at least an hour plus all the snow had to be in one area.
  15. Kosty

Kosty Member

sorry mad a mistake its 120 car parking lot.
  16. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

He'll find someone for $90 and someone else the next year etc...etc...etc...
    The snow will be clear but it wont be done with care.
  17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Deal with a ATM, and 120 possible cars parked all randomly and put ALL the snow in one place.

Maybe while your there you can patch all the pot holes and paint the lines too all for $90!
  18. Kosty

Kosty Member

yea, he saw my equipment its brand new. i told him i have a back up truck and i offered to bill him but he said he had to think about it I doubt he will call back maybe when the snow hits but ill raise the rate.
  19. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Took ya long enough!!! ;)