1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Was I Being Set Up For Robbery ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelettuceman, Jan 10, 2015.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I got a call while I was out plowing the other night. Caller tells me his regular snow plow guy won't be there because his truck broke down and how much will I charge. Three things set off a red flag in my mind:

1) Truck broke down with only 3" of snow !!!! >> This ain't deep !!!
    2) How much will I charge? >>> How would I know over the telephone !!!
    3) The address he gave me does not exist. It took me to a shopping center parking lot.

When I delivered pizza, I was told for my safety >>>> Bring pizza back to store. Do not investigate an address you cannot find.

The first two red flags should have kept me from going there. Luckily nothing happened. The caller kept calling me all night. When will I be there??

Please watch out and be safe out there !!!!!

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If he calls again, ask him where he got your number from (do you have it printed on your truck?)

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Caller id showed what ???

I dont answer out of area calls / restricted/ unknown numbers

If i get an odd number. I google it. If its not legitimate youll know in the search results

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I use "whitepages caller id" app on my phone. It will tell you about spam calls and you can block anything you like so they will not ring.

5. thelettuceman

Plain white truck ... no lettering

Caller ID showed local call

Posting what happened to me so everyone will think twice about calls like I got.

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the heads up. One more reason to CCW while plowing, although if you can keep from putting yourself in a bad situation to begin with, that is even better of course.

7. thelettuceman

Had to "google" CCW .... LOL !!!! Not for me. I have a quick temper. I would wind up in jail.

8. derekslawncare

Oh, sorry. There was a pretty long thread on here a couple weeks ago about carrying while plowing, so I just figured everyone knew what CCW was. And glad to see you are responsible enough to know that carrying isn't for you.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I almost want one down here in parts of KC.

10. derekslawncare

??? Want one what? And looks like you are in Chicago. You visiting KC right now?

11. 1olddogtwo

I spent a lot of time in KC, my main warehouse is here and some of my disaster trailers kept here

12. derekslawncare

Interesting. Well if you were just visiting, I was going to say you absolutely HAVE to go to Jack Stack BBQ for dinner, but if you're here quite often, I'm sure you have been there before. Best KC strip you will ever eat.

13. 1olddogtwo

Been to the one downtown, Martin city and the one off 435. In grandview, may drive to Chicago tomorrow and return Tuesday. We"ll what the forecast is in the AM

14. derekslawncare

If you come back on Tuesday, let me know. Would like to meet you. Maybe get together for lunch?

15. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

What does the depth of snow have to do with a truck breaking down? Or did he say he got stuck?

Also people price shop over the phone all the time.

I think you're overthinking it. That seems like a lot of work to rob a poor plow guy

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I cold call my competitors all the time with fake addresses....keeps the night lively.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If he buys don't be surprised when the waiter follows you out to the parking lot asking for the rest of the tab........:laughing:

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I do no advertising and get a lot of work from referrals from existing or past customers. I have never thought I was being set up for an ambush, guess I'm not paranoid or maybe I am because I carry.......:dizzy:
    With the technology of today's handheld devices you can search anything if something does sound fishy.

19. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Trucks break down in 1" of snow or even to go get coffee..lots of people ask what do you charge for a price point and maybe you misunderstood the address?

Doesn't sound fishy at all in my opinion?

20. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You just never know. Pay to be cautious. Looks like he didn't want money. He just wanted to kill somebody:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-slain-realtor-was-to-show-home-to-murder-suspect/

"SCOTT, Arkansas -- The man suspected of killing an Arkansas realtor is believed to have been the person to whom she was scheduled to show a home before she vanished Thursday, investigators said at a news conference Tuesday.

Early Tuesday morning, investigators found victim Beverly Carter's body at Argos Concrete Company in a rural area about 25 miles northeast of Little Rock and more than 20 miles away from Scott, where she had an appointment to show a house Thursday but hadn't been seen since.

Arron Michael Lewis, 33, is accused in her murder. He appeared in court Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to one count each of capital murder, kidnapping and robbery, as well as four weapons charges, according to the office of Pulaski County District Judge Wayne Gruber......"