1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Was going to try a SnoWay plow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by milkie62, Sep 23, 2013.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Have a new 2013 Chevy 2500HD.Was going to go with a SnoWay 29R since the dealer was local and have had Fisher and Western and wanted to try something out.Plus my local dealer has had them for well over 20 yrs.
    I tell the dealer I won't buy one until I see one together.They call me and tell me they have one on display on a demo rack to see how it works.Well it worked slick till I took the cover off the electrics and see a Scotchlite connector on one of the wires.I ask what in the He@@ is one of those type of connectors doing on a snowplow especially where all the slop and salt is ? Those connectors are bad enough on a trailer and cause enough problems after awhile..He did not know what to say since he sells trailers and knows what I am talking about. So what is the big deal if SnoWay wants to brag about military type connectors when they have a weak link in their electrics ? Well he also sells Hiniker which I will try I think unless they have similar issues.Oh well there goes a possible new SnoWay owner.

2. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

I had one Sno-Way and wouldnt buy another. The downpressure was great for driveways but the wiring and cylinders have durability issues. In three seasons, I replaced just about every wire and multiple cylinders on a 32 contractor (steel mold board). I also had to fab up several new bracks due to slop in the bolt holes. Replacement parts are expensive (lift cylinder $269, wireless control box $329, wireless remote $299). The biggers problem, my local dealer did not stock replacement parts. I had a 2-4 day wait for all parts.

3. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

So what do you tell a customer ? I have to wait for parts ? I thought after 20 yrs SnoWay would have taken care of minor issues like the one I stated.Maybe a waterproof electrical box or something better than a corrosive/oxidizing connection.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are no "scotch lock" connectors in the factory harness. What you saw was probably a poorly installed DEALER 4-sight system. Shame you are writing off an entire plow because of one small dealer installed item. If including "scotchlocks" in a kit for tapping into exsisting system you're SOL in the plow department.;)

They ship the di-electric filled crimp connectors for some accessory applications but you just throw them out and use a proper connector. You'll also not find any plow manufacturer shipping anything else for those applications.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 4 sight tie in is easiest done with a low temp. self soldering, adhesive, heat shirk, crimp connector about $1.50@. Connects the three wires in place while you solder, and cover them at the same time. MUCH easier than solder and heat shrink.

4-Sight is seriously cool, you don't like the dealer install, do it yourself save a little money and do the job YOU like.Thumbs Up

6. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I realize you would have to use them under the hood to tap into lights but to use one down at the solenoids is unacceptable IMO.They could have used a butt splice at least coated with silicone.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As I said above, I agree.That splice would not be on a factory unit, that's a dealer thing, I don't like the crimp connectors under any circumstance.

8. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I must appologize to SnoWay

After pm' ing back and forth with basher,I found out that the cheaply spliced wiring was a dealer 4 site install,not factory from SnoWay.My thanks to basher for pointing me in the right direction and my appology going out to SnoWay.... :eek::eek::eek:

9. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

Amen I was worried I just bought one and was pissed! Thank god it was only 4sight

10. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Basher's sno-way posts have helped me out several times with my plow issues. Like I said, the downpressure and plow performance are good. I've just had durability issues.